Any of you guys build a safe room using steel square tubing and plate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has done this. We're planning a shop and wanting to do a safe room inside it. Well everywhere I look on the net I see these safe rooms that are built with either 3/16 or 1/4 plate steel and square tubing and they want like $5,000 minimum it seems.

Have any of you built one or know someone who has? The way I figure it with materials I could get in one for under $2,500. I am somewhat handy and know a few welders that would help me out.

What's your thoughts on this? Get a precast cellar???

Thanks,
Kyle

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
in the the 90's i did the hvac on a hanger that had a safe room like that ,in 2003 the hanger was hit by a tornado and everything was gone including the saferoom

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A concrete lined hole in the ground is best and you can probably get one for 2500.00,they have been working great for along time. Me personally,I want to be in a hole if a tornado comes,especially an F4 or F5.

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about the house that clould be on top of it. Granted it is a very safe place I just don't lil the idea of it being where it is(in the garage). You wouldn't want to keep any gas cans in the garage and if your on a propane heating system gas settles,but it beats a closet or a bath tub,can you use to change the oil on your vehicles?

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I strongly favor being underground, however a safe room is better than nothing & if constructed thoughtfully can double as a gunsafe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom