Any of you guys build a safe room using steel square tubing and plate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I strongly favor being underground, however a safe room is better than nothing & if constructed thoughtfully can double as a gunsafe.

This is my whole reason for looking into a safe room. I'm affraid I wouldn't use a cellar much and this would be much more useful, but if they are that bad I'll move on. I'm looking on Fema.gov and they are showing a construction with 14 GA steel and a wooden frame...

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of the guys on 117 rode it out in a dog house that was anchored down with 4 turnbuckles and cable, with the screw in type anchors. They tell me it sucked. But not totally.

smcgee10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with an above ground is not that the wind is blowing at 125 mph. It is WHAT the wind is blowing at 125 mph. If the wind blows you house down with an above ground you will probably be okay. If the wind blows a tree into your house at 125 mph with or without an above ground I will have my doubts.

eellis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure your safer underground . At my station we have 18" concrete walls in our safe room and it was poured From the footing up as one piece so who knows.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Above ground steel safe room out at Falcon Lake in Piedmont that survived the May 24th tornado just fine. That was one of the hardest hit areas.

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c359_akbushcop_IMG_3925.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom