Any OSA Ham Radio Operators?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting involved with Ham radio. I visited the ARRL website and found a few clubs in the Tulsa area.

What are your experiences with being a Ham operator? What's the initial cost in getting started? Is there one Tulsa area club that outshines the others?

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my general and really enjoy it. Don't know about Tulsa, but I'm sure there are many many hams and some clubs. Cost isn't much at all. You can buy some older equipment and get on the air for under $200 if you needed to. Some will suggest you get a hand held for your first 2 meter radio, others suggest you get a good mobile radio for your vehicle. Either way, if you like it once you get into amateur radio, you'll end up with multiple mobiles and handy's anyways.

Get with a club up there. There's probably one that offers classes to study and take the test.

A couple of older threads. http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?124396-Ham-Radio-Guys&highlight=radio
http://www.okshooters.com/showthrea...o-Classes-in-Oklahoma/page2&highlight=amateur

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
KD5MOD

Amateur radio (Ham Radio) is a lot of fun, it is also a service when other modes of communication go down, like the May 3rd tornado. It is a mode of communication that many storm chasers use. It is also a way for families to talk to active service members over seas.

it cannot be used for commercial purposes, or for radio shows. You are thinking about either commercial broadcasting, limited signal broadcasting (10 acre) or Pirate radio broadcasting.

The Ham club I have belonged to in the past is S.C.A.R.S.

I hope this helps,

73's

MF

Im ready to start, seriously someone post some good info. Im ready now. What do I need, and anntennea? and a radio?

Can I (im being serious) start my own radio broadcast show? Or is that just FM?

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im ready to start, seriously someone post some good info. Im ready now. What do I need, and anntennea? and a radio?

Can I (im being serious) start my own radio broadcast show? Or is that just FM?

Back in the day, We had the Red Eye Network on one of the 2 meter repeaters. Basically it was 4 or 5 or 10 guys that stayed up too late and talked about radio stuff.

Rules back then were no commercial use. You could talk about anything you wanted, just couldn't use it for business.

Latest posts

Top Bottom