Any OSA Ham Radio Operators?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we could get an OSA group together that would be cool! I have my license for over 10 years, but haven't been actively on the radio for several years. Definitely need to get myself back into it again!

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ham radio is a unique hobby that you can use to talk directly with other hams without outside entities involved such as cell service providers or internet service providers. Like anything there are rules and regulations, but it is mostly self regulated common sense personal chit chat. Multiple frequencies (depending on your license class) can be used for direct communications short range on 2 meter FM for 20-40 miles, through a repeater system for a 50-70 mile radius, or on the HF bands world wide.

During disasters where something like a tornado wipes out all communication lines and cell towers in an area, an emergency ham radio communication system operating from a small generator can be set up and operational in less than an hour. We can provide back up communications for any situation.

If you do an internet search, you will find several ham radio clubs that usually have a weekly on the radio net meeting and also usually a monthly face to face meeting in most areas. The Rogers County Wireless Association will have their monthly meeting in Claremore at the Golden Corral this coming Saturday morning (2nd Sat of the month). Most people come to eat about 8:30 and shoot the bull, the meeting starts at 9. Usually lasts an hour or so. We have members from Tulsa, BA, Claremore, Chouteau, Pryor, and the surrounding area. They have a 2 meter repeater that covers most of the Tulsa area.

Anyone is welcome to attend and I or anyone else there will be happy to talk with you about Ham Radio.
Most clubs charge a yearly membership fee, $15 - 20/year that helps them with expenses. As an earlier poster stated, a license is required but is not hard to study for. The exams are $15. You can get on the air locally with a $50 used handy talkie, many people use a mobile unit on a power supply for under $200 that using repeater systems will cover an area as large as NE Oklahoma. A used HF radio will start about $350 and then you need to string an antenna which can run from $50 to $5000 depending on what you want and can afford to do to talk across the US and the world.

It is a great hobby if you like to meet new people and like to tinker. Every radio station is set up is different, and you have flexibility to make your own modifications. PM me if I can answer any other questions.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out this club
http://w5ias.com
They have a system linked over a lot of the state, and are very active in emergency communications.
Click on the testing link, and it will have the testing sites and times to get your license
There is several web sites to help you study, or there is books available to study.
Simple to get started, and a ton of ways to branch out once you start.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we could get an OSA group together that would be cool! I have my license for over 10 years, but haven't been actively on the radio for several years. Definitely need to get myself back into it again!

This would be interesting. Just like the forum only no banhammer for when people get the hurt.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Since you haven't been active for a while, I hope you remembered to renew when that first license expired after 10 years.

As for the get-together, do you have a physical meeting in mind or just on the air?

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you haven't been active for a while, I hope you remembered to renew when that first license expired after 10 years.

As for the get-together, do you have a physical meeting in mind or just on the air?
Yes I did thankfully this last December!

Either or both would be fine with me. On air and some in person. I gotta get my stuff together as since we moved last a few years ago I really haven't used it or unpacked it. I used to be really up on the ham stuff but have really fallen off the wagon, and I'm sure forgot a lot of the technicals.

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too have been licensed for several years now. Went through a divorce about 10 years ago....and haven't really gotten back into it.

There is a "Hamfest" in OKC on July 27-28. A Hamfest is similar to a gunshow/swap meet, only with ham radio equipment. Just Google "Ham Radio" and you will find many websites with information on the hobby.

Mike

Last edited:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me too (KE5ZJ). I got my advanced ticket several years ago, and had a lot of fun with it. Then, I started having to travel quite often, and my friend that got me into the hobby died, and my activity fell by the wayside. Since I have retired, I have been considering getting back active, but just haven't pulled enough cash away from my gun money to buy some new radio toys. Lots of fun, many great folks, and you will might learn some new skills!

Latest posts

Top Bottom