Any recommendations on driving route to Orlando...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowers

Marksman
Reaction score
Well, driving to Orlando, FL in a couple days, seeing if anyone has driven it with a preference of route. Going 40E to 78E, the only real options after I am seeing are heading south or southeast out of Birmingham, and if south then south or southeast out of Montgomery. Any hints? :scratch:

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done it several times across several different routes. The easiest for me was just getting on 40 to Nashville and heading straight down through Atlanta. Just make sure to time it so you don't hit Atlanta traffic and you'll be fine.

Birmingham route coming down from Memphis was too stop and go wacky through Alabama for heads down driving. Going the Southern route looked like it was faster, but once again, coming up through Mississippi was painful.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bring a good selection of music, books on CD or likewise. Of course which route depends on what you want to see one the way. Been a long time since I been that way so I could not tell you what there is to see. But I do know that as far as scenery goes you will enjoy. Safe journey to you and don't forget to read up on conceal carry laws for the states you are passing trough if you CC.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
CCW, don't worry, all the states you'll be passing through honor ours. As to the route, I go south from McAlester towards New Orleans, bypass to I-10, then straight on to the Fl turn-pike. Lots of music CD's an book CD's make for a pleasant drive

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have heard from many that the route HMFIC stated is the best. I did it in 2001 going to Dallas, to Shreveport then south to I-10 only because that is the way my daughter wanted and I was driving a 26 feet long Ryder rental truck and she was driving her SUV well ahead of me. Really only bad part was going through Dallas and governor on the truck. Spent the night in Biloxi, MS.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We take Indian nation into TX, then make our way to Shreveport on the back roads. We enjoy the cotton fields and nice people when we stop for gas and food. Then i-10 to the turnpike. We stay in biloxi on the way and back. Enjoy and stop to look around a bit on the way if you can. The way you are taking has some nice scenery too, but the traffic will be heavier.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done both ways, through ATL and along the coast. The coast route is nice, you get to see ocean the whole way and I like stopping in the French Quarter for Beniets. ATL sucks, the traffic blows. The people in Georgia are not as nice as they say. Food is better along the coast. I did the trip home from WDW in a a day and a half, long drive, but the trip was fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom