Anyone else find a 1911 unergonomic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a gunsmith, others most likely will be in here to help more. I have looked at a few full sized Colts and depending on the series I have noticed a difference in a few things that make them feel different in my hand.

Older ones I have noticed have the trigger closer to rear, which provides a larger hole, not as much metal of the trigger showing, not sure what that is called. The backstraps can be different, some are fatter at the bottom rather than straight, and grips can be different. I have a packmire type grip on one 1911 with colt emblems that has a grip wrap on the front below the trigger between the sides that is textured I like for sweaty hands.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have a 1911 and i like the ergonomics just fine but i still prefer my HK P30 and S&W revolvers over the 1911 for carry and shooting. I'll take a 357 magnum S&W revolver over a 1911 any day of the week.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now, thankfully, there is professional help available for your condition. The first step towards recovery is admitting you have a problem. You are to be congratulated that you have taken that first step. Next, you must ignore people like that ne'er do well Hargroves and the equally duplicitous stoolfingers, they are only out to bilk you. You need a professional, you need a trained ergonomics counselor, like me. Box the offending pistol up, along with all ammo, parts, etc. in plain brown paper so no one knows what it is and will not contribute to your continued embarrassment, then contact me for instructions on how to dispose of this horribly ugly, unergonomic travesty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it interesting that all these current gen polymer pistols all have interchangeable backstraps to "custom fit" the grip to the user, as if that's a new thing. When in fact, they were beat to the punch by a century when JMB designed the 1911. The mainspring housing on a 1911 is interchangeable, so you can get flat, arched or somewhere in between. They've taken that a step further now with bobtail conversions. However, unlike a lot of the polymer guns, the 1911 can be has with a long or short reach trigger, flat or curved face, thick or thin grips, a half dozen different beavertail designs and long, short, intermediate sized controls, to include ambi safeties and mag catch buttons. When was the last time you saw a Glock or other polymer gun with an integral magwell? The 1911 platform has them! There are even DAO and (L)DA action options. It is beyond doubt a doubt the most modular and customizable handgun platform ever created.

So if the 1911 doesn't fit you very well, you're not trying hard enough! ;)

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see how one could feel that they are "ovally". Which for my two cents is actually why I think they feel so good in my hand.

I think back to my impression of early Glocks. I thought they were too boxy. Others love the early Glocks. In contrast they probably made me like my 1911 (and SIG P220s with SIG thin grips) that much more.
Its not just the ovally feeling it is the fact that it feels like that plus half a deck of playing cards on each side. Id rather not feel that shelf or the stacking feeling. Dont get me wrong I love the guns just not the most comfortable thing for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom