Aquaponics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuplumber

Marksman
Reaction score
Curious if anybody on here has done any aquaponic gardening and how well it worked out. I have been doing some research on the subject and would like to set up a system in my yard. Any thoughts, tips, and tricks on the subject would be much appreciated.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am building a greenhouse this winter that is going to house my Aquaponics tanks and grow beds. There are lots of sites out there that sell small kits, most quite expensive. It reminds me of the back yard garden Koi ponds, in many cases it is the current fad thing to do. The concept is great, but will require more work and maintenance than most will be willing to do. I have not researched smaller backyard systems so I don't have a lot of info to offer in that area. I am looking at a moderate scale system going into a 20' x 36' greenhouse. I am modeling what I am doing after these guys. It is a group in Kansas City called TheUrbanFarmingGuys. Here is a link to their UTube channel and their primary Aquaponics video. Lot of good info here no matter what scale you plant to build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfR9nDsvBk8

Most Aquaponics systems require a delicate balance between the amount of water and fish inches to the size of the grow beds and plant materials kept growing. The challenge you face as I see it is keeping that balance in check. As your fish grow they produce more waste so you need more plant material to keep the balance. If you harvest a lot of vegetables all at one time and do not harvest a proper amount of fish, you throw the system out of balance. It might be easier to have a smaller system where you can actually count the number of fish in the system and keep good records so you can harvest them as your plants are harvested.

The thing I like about the UFG approach is they built a cyclonic filter which takes most of the fish waste out of the water before it goes into the tanks where the nitrogen cycle occurs. This reduces the amount of plant material needed to keep the system in balance. The UF guys have several acres of normal garden ground, they use the fish waste they capture in the cyclone filter to use as a regular garden fertilizer. I have the same situation, lots of garden ground to fertilize. This system also allows them to keep a much larger fish population, they were working on ramping the system up to 1000 fish, not sure if they got to that level yet or not. They are close enough to OKC that I think I will take a rainy weekend this spring, hopefully we have several of those, and do a road trip up to see their system and meet them fact to face. I am close to covering the greenhouse and will start setting up the tanks at that point. I have already bought several of the 275 gallon totes like they use. You can find those on Craigslist, search by "275 gallon tank" to find them. I also have a couple of 55 gal food grade plastic drums with removable lids to build the cyclone filter and nitrogen tanks from. Those are harder to find used, but are out there from time to time.

As far as fish goes, I am raising Blue Tilapia. That is the most cold hardy variety available. Tilapia is the fish of choice in Aquaponics because they will eat just about anything. They also don't require as perfect water quality as other fish might. Tilapia have a very strong digestive system, that is why they can eat so many different things. That is also responsible for why the meat tastes so neutral. Most pond fish take on the taste of their environment, catfish are bottom feeders and their meat has a kind of slimy taste to it. I am no fish expert, but I am learning. Tilapia also produce the greatest amount of body weight per feed of any fish from what I have read, 1.2 pounds of feed will produce 1 pound of meat.

I would recommend that you keep an aquarium in the house along with your breeding stock, 1 male and 3-4 females. That way if your Aquaponics system gets sick, you don't loose all your fish. I will have two breeding tanks, 2 is 1, 1 is none. UFG's have other video's on Tilapia, their cyclone filter and a host of other topics. I would have a small backup power system, a battery and solar panel available to keep the aeration of the tanks going in the event of a power outage.

Here are a couple more links I have bookmarked with information and in some cases supplies. I also have a source for bulk fish food, you can't afford to feed them pellets you buy at the pet stores. PM me for more on that, I am going to be placing an order soon and we could get a group buy going if others have any interest. I am talking a 1000 pound order or more so prices will be much more attractive.

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/

http://theurbanfarmingguys.com/

http://www.friendlyaquaponics.com/

There is also some information on this site, it is the best farm pond site on the internet.

http://www.pondboss.com/

Good luck with your project.

Tuplumber

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks for the information OKC9-12LEDR1 you have really done your homework on this subject. I plan on doing a very small set up in the back yard as a trial run. If I am able to raise the fish and grow food successfully I will look to expand. I don't want to invest a huge sum of money into a project until I am certain I can make it work.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been in toying with the idea of setting up a redclaw crawfish system. Apparently they reproduce prodigiously, and they're fairly large in size. Hell, when SHTF ya'll can come on over for a good 'ol crawdaddy boil.
atlaspub.20m.com_sfredclaw.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom