Do you tip the cleaning staff at a hotel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don’t seem like the type of guy to go to 5bucks. There might be freaks and weirdos there.
I go all the time. I see a freak once in a while. I leave them alone if they leave me alone. It is also a good education for my kids to know what/who to avoid.

Guess what, I also like going to Europe. Especially France. Just because I detest commies and think liberal political thought is devoid of logic doesn't mean I sequester myself in my own world. That is what libs do.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's what I don't get. Why maids and not the roofing crew? Or the garbage man, dry cleaner, landscaper, dude fixing potholes and so on? I don't really understand who 'deserves' a tip and who doesnt.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what I don't get. Why maids and not the roofing crew? Or the garbage man, dry cleaner, landscaper, dude fixing potholes and so on? I don't really understand who 'deserves' a tip and who doesnt.
Tips are given for personal service. Hair dresser/barber, manicurist/pedicurist, waitstaff in a sit-down diner/restaurant but not fast-food (unless they go above and beyond). Anyone who comes to your home or place of business and does you a personal service, too. Pool boy or whatever. My mom was a waitress at Denny's for 40 years, off and on. Other places, too. Started at $0.15/hour, and tips. A dime tip was a big deal!

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No solely based on the fact that I am sick of tipping everyone for everything. I paid for my night there, why would I give you more money to not change the sheets (take a blacklight to a hotel and you'll be surprised) and pick up a couple towels? Nobody tips me at my job for preventing disgruntled employees coming back and shooting up the place or running off homeless people before they can break into employees cars 🤷‍♂️
This. The one that got me was seeing a tip jar on the Advance Auto store counter.

don ewald

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Say you stay a single night at a regular hotel, not a fancy one, do you leave a tip? Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, Best Western type.

If so, why and how much?

If not, why not? usu

I stay in a lot of hotels and am curious what the thought is of this topic?
For one night, I do not tip the cleaning staff. If I stay a few nights and the room is made up every day, I do, Usually $10.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tips are given for personal service. Hair dresser/barber, manicurist/pedicurist, waitstaff in a sit-down diner/restaurant but not fast-food (unless they go above and beyond). Anyone who comes to your home or place of business and does you a personal service, too. Pool boy or whatever. My mom was a waitress at Denny's for 40 years, off and on. Other places, too. Started at $0.15/hour, and tips. A dime tip was a big deal!
I get waiter/waitress in a sit down restaurant, and I guess barber and the like since it's kind of been an accepted standard forever. Some of the other positions are weird to me though. Honestly, as a position starts 'expecting' tips to be paid, I'd expect the business to start cutting wages to people, like they do in restaurants. I'm not anti-tipping, but it seems like it's spreading as an expectation to things that imo should be part of my deal with the business, not layered on top.

And in hotels, I put a DND sign on when I check in and remove it when I check out (3-4 days max). I don't feel like I owe a tip, but might leave a small one, if I have it handy.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put a tip in there.

It doesn't matter if a pick up is 2x4 or 4x4 if a customer is after windshield wipers.

Not the tip jar, if they install the wiper blades, then yes direct to the employee.

I had a donut 🍩 shop not far from my house. When I turned out of cul-de-sac, it was 2 blocks straight to donut 🍩 parking lot.

We would leave at 5:30 to go duck hunting, donut 🍩 shop opened at 6:00.

One morning, we were running late and I pulled in. The owner / only employee opened the door 🚪, filled our order and asked where we were going? Told him "duck hunting". He asked why we hadn't stopped the 2 Saturdays before? Answered that it was too early, that he opened at 6:00. He says, "I get here at 3:00, you want coffee ☕️, donut 🍩; you stop, I open." We always tipped when he opened for us.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not the tip jar, if they install the wiper blades, then yes direct to the employee.

I had a donut 🍩 shop not far from my house. When I turned out of cul-de-sac, it was 2 blocks straight to donut 🍩 parking lot.

We would leave at 5:30 to go duck hunting, donut 🍩 shop opened at 6:00.

One morning, we were running late and I pulled in. The owner / only employee opened the door 🚪, filled our order and asked where we were going? Told him "duck hunting". He asked why we hadn't stopped the 2 Saturdays before? Answered that it was too early, that he opened at 6:00. He says, "I get here at 3:00, you want coffee ☕️, donut 🍩; you stop, I open." We always tipped when he opened for us.
That is a business owner that likes money.

When I was a restaurant manager in college our rule was the closing time was when customers stopped coming in the door, not what the sign said.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been told that I am a generous person. I don't have anything against tipping. It is when some sandwich shop or where there is no personal service, expects a tip. They are doing their job.
I tip at restaurants, barber, hotel cleaning, delivery driver, grocery bagger, contractor, AAA if I get a jump, flower delivery, furniture deliv. I tip a guy at auto store if replaces my wipers.
Just depends.

Latest posts

Top Bottom