Do you tip the cleaning staff at a hotel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Imo zero would be better.

Agree. Let the market decide
I'd agree with both of you if there really were no government constraints on anything. Unfortunately that is not the case, and given the track record of corporations in the last century, without some rules we'd have slave labor prices, and an environmental disaster every week. I'm as "hands off" in regards to the government, but it's been demonstrated time and time again, that companies will screw employees like a drunk cheerleader at a frat party.

Just take note of why we have such a thing as 401k, weekly standard labor hours, OSHA, MSHA, EPA, etc...these entities did not get created in a vacuum.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd agree with both of you if there really were no government constraints on anything. Unfortunately that is not the case, and given the track record of corporations in the last century, without some rules we'd have slave labor prices, and an environmental disaster every week. I'm as "hands off" in regards to the government, but it's been demonstrated time and time again, that companies will screw employees like a drunk cheerleader at a frat party.

Just take note of why we have such a thing as 401k, weekly standard labor hours, OSHA, MSHA, EPA, etc...these entities did not get created in a vacuum.
I get that corps will do what they can to max their profits, but nowadays, I don't see the market allowing them to completely screw workers. Too many other options out there and the information about those opportunities is available to everyone.

Also, I see a bump to $15/hr minimum eliminating a ton of unskilled jobs. Anywhere tech could replace a worker (fast food etc.) it will, and plugging in $15/hr in their models start making that tech look a lot cheaper.

Upshot in terms of this thread topic, hotel maids might get a bump. At least until a cleaning robot gets a little better/cheaper. Of course, hotel owners will just bump the room rate to cover it.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get that corps will do what they can to max their profits, but nowadays, I don't see the market allowing them to completely screw workers. Too many other options out there and the information about those opportunities is available to everyone.

Also, I see a bump to $15/hr minimum eliminating a ton of unskilled jobs. Anywhere tech could replace a worker (fast food etc.) it will, and plugging in $15/hr in their models start making that tech look a lot cheaper.

Upshot in terms of this thread topic, hotel maids might get a bump. At least until a cleaning robot gets a little better/cheaper. Of course, hotel owners will just bump the room rate to cover it.
And honestly, I'm ok with that. I don't believe there's a chiseled in stone price for what a room, a burger, a drink should cost. It should be market-driven, with competition keeping prices low enough to appeal to a customer. Labor cost is just one cost, and if paying your help a decent wage drives up that cost, so be it.

Look around you. Does it appear that cheap food availability is helping our country?

Latest posts

Top Bottom