Do you tip the cleaning staff at a hotel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a multi night stay, I leave the DnD sign up the entire time. When I leave, I condense all the towels into a pile, wipe the counter and mirror if necessary, strip the bed and make it a habit to only use one trash can. I don’t tip, I do their job.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not for one night, but the wife and I always keep a clean room. If it’s multiple nights we usually just trade old towels for new towels, or anything else we need. That’s when my wife tips (and gives the tip directly to the housekeeper) and lets them know they don’t need to clean our room.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do unless there was an issue with the room. I also tip for food pick even though no one “waited on” me per se.
I do this because I see it as part of my annual charity. I enjoy blessing others with the abundance God has given me and that doesn’t always mean 100% as a check to my church.
I like this -
And seriously we have so much, even though it wasn't that long ago my wife and I both worked like slaves just to get by. The folks cleaning your room, cooking your food are probably in the same boat. Most companies only pay crap wages for that. A picture of Andrew Jackson in all his awesomeness really doesn't change my day at all. But to someone busting their ass with kids to feed it makes a huge difference.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
...Plus, I worked a tip job putting myself through college driving taxis NYC. Back then, I can say if we drivers knew if we had a southerner in the cab, we probably weren’t going to get a tip....
Did you have that sign in your cab that most NYC cabbies have? "tipping is not a city in China"..

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. Tipping culture is out of control.

Agreed , but i still do it situationally

Coffee and donut shop close to my office has both a tip jar AND a prompt asking if you want to leave a tip on the card scanner if you pay with a card

If my order is $4.08 i typically just pay with a 5 and say to keep the change or something

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed , but i still do it situationally

Coffee and donut shop close to my office has both a tip jar AND a prompt asking if you want to leave a tip on the card scanner if you pay with a card

If my order is $4.08 i typically just pay with a 5 and say to keep the change or something

I occasionally will tip outside of normal full service restaurants if I feel it warranted, but not often.

On the very rare occasion I get food delivered or get a massage I tip. I cut my own hair.

But tip jars at Starbucks or other retail counters? Hell no.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I occasionally will tip outside of normal full service restaurants if I feel it warranted, but not often.

On the very rare occasion I get food delivered or get a massage I tip. I cut my own hair.

But tip jars at Starbucks or other retail counters? Hell no.
You don’t seem like the type of guy to go to 5bucks. There might be freaks and weirdos there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom