Do you tip the cleaning staff at a hotel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on how I feel. Every time we go to a hotel the wife grabs her alcohol and water spray and doses everything. If we're feeling like it's clean, sometimes we'll find the maid and giver her a five spot. The hotels are far dirtier and unclean today than a few years back due to shortage of personnel and cut backs. Many hotels have stopped servicing the rooms on a daily basis due to Covid and it's no doubt that it saved them money in changing sheets and washing same and cleaning the room. Basically, they've saved money using Covid as an excuse to not do a daily cleaning and then too, they've raised rates.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Say you stay a single night at a regular hotel, not a fancy one, do you leave a tip? Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, Best Western type.

If so, why and how much?

If not, why not?

I stay in a lot of hotels and am curious what the thought is of this topic?
I was born because someone tipped a staff member.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was staying at a hotel and working nights. I came back to the room with wet towels on the bed and pillows on the floor. I asked for another room. Edit...No, I do not tip. I clean the place before I do anything and clean it, as far as, taking out the trash, placing all the towels in the tub and wrapping the sheets up on top of the bed.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always tip. My grandma worked as a maid some seasons at the old time big hotels upstate NY. High class, big name entertainers came through performing etc. Eventually ran the maid/servants @ a hotel . She taught me that maids work on tips, much like waitresses. Plus, I worked a tip job putting myself through college driving taxis NYC. Back then, I can say if we drivers knew if we had a southerner in the cab, we probably weren’t going to get a tip. Now, that was decades and decades ago. I’m sure things have changed. Heck , I’ll tip anyone doing a good job for me. Good will.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alot of low end (Days Inn, Econolodge, etc) and mid-level hotels (Holiday Inn Express, Hampton, Courtyard, etc) pay the staff per room to clean and they usually have about 17 to 23 minutes per room. Full service hotels pay by the hour or there are some that use a staffing service for cleaning the rooms (because it's hard to find and keep good help). Been in the industry for the past 18 years selling products to all brands and have seen it all. Yes, I tip even for a one night stay (most of the time).

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once tipped a $20 after a night of some of the best Mexican food.
I'm posting a reply because none of the emoji faces really fit the bill.
I was looking for a face that said "I know how that goes."

And to answer the OP question, on the rare occasion of a hotel stay I do leave a tip.
In this day and age just like in a restaurant I prefer to give it directly to the person.

Latest posts

Top Bottom