AR help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the barrel or gas block? That's a bunch of crap either way.

Barrel. if it were the gas block id just order a new block and call it good... but how do you forget to drill a hole in the barrel? How exactly DOES that happen? :).. anyway... I'm gonna be a good sport about this... maybe they'll upgrade me to a middy nitride or something.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barrel. if it were the gas block id just order a new block and call it good... but how do you forget to drill a hole in the barrel? How exactly DOES that happen? :).. anyway... I'm gonna be a good sport about this... maybe they'll upgrade me to a middy nitride or something.

Yeah that's a definite WTF?! Course you could always use it as a dedicated .22 upper...

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah... but some how I don't think they'll let me keep this one and ship me a new one... now... if they do that's exactly what I'll be doing, I'm still confused as to why they wouldn't drill the damn hole... The bad part is its a nitrided barrel so they'll probably end up throwing it out anyway (I think I read that the nitriding process makes the barrel too hard to drill back out). Anyway, at least this one wasn't my fault, my build was fine, it didn't blow up, and for what its worth the damn thing was super accurate in bolt action mode.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would get a can of gun scrubber and pour some down the gas tube. Then run a patch down the barrel and see if it is wet. I would be that is just misaligned.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With automated equipment it could be that the drill broke (it's a really small drill bit) and the machine cycled several before it was caught. And they missed one or more barrels when taking them out of the "finished station".

If doing it on manual machinery, it could be as simple as the drill broke, and the machinist/operator got distracted and set one in the finished pile that wasn't actually finished when they noticed that the drill was broken. I've seen many cases of stuff like this in 20+ years of working in a machine shop. Regardless, it's a definite QC miss and they should make it right for you.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With automated equipment it could be that the drill broke (it's a really small drill bit) and the machine cycled several before it was caught. And they missed one or more barrels when taking them out of the "finished station".

If doing it on manual machinery, it could be as simple as the drill broke, and the machinist/operator got distracted and set one in the finished pile that wasn't actually finished when they noticed that the drill was broken. I've seen many cases of stuff like this in 20+ years of working in a machine shop. Regardless, it's a definite QC miss and they should make it right for you.

Fair enough... I'm gonna be a good sport about it... maybe they'll make it right by swapping me for one of their new fluted middies...

Latest posts

Top Bottom