Are solar panels worth the investment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that when a company is spending a fortune on advertising, for something like solar panels, it is not worth it. If it were a screaming deal, word of mouth would be all the advertising they need.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
17 years @ $150 month! That is with zero interest.

:yikes2: :angry3:

Only if they could guarantee I wouldn't have any electric bills the rest of my life.

That lifetime warranty bidnuss scars me.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
"Lifetime Warranty" could mean anything from 10 to 50 years. You need an actual number first off.

I've been seeing a system advertised that uses the Tesla batteries with a ten year warranty. If you're replacing the storage batteries every ten years that's a substantial cost that most likely isn't covered in the "Lifetime Warranty".

From what very little I know about it I just don't see how it pays off when going with a contractor installed system at retail price. DIY seems to be the only way to actually eventually save money.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So if the entire system including the storage batteries last, it could be twenty years before you realize any real savings???

I guess if electricity rates double before the twenty years of payoff then savings would be seen sooner but you are gambling that there are no costs to keeping the system running 100% for more than 20 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom