Are We Preparing Our Teachers, Administrators and Kids to Respond Wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/experts-schools’-active-shooter-prep-being-done-the-wrong-way/ar-BBJHq02?li=BBnb7Kz

Interesting. I guess the old "run, hide, fight" thing is no longer fashionable. Now, "experts" are saying to just run. But I found this advice really interesting too: "...called on schools to install safety features that can prevent casualties in the event of a mass shooting, such as classroom doors that can be locked from the inside without keys as well as keeping objects such as hammers or screwdrivers that could wound an intruder".

So now, some of the experts are advising that objects like hammers and screwdrivers should be kept in classrooms that can be used to wound an intruder. Hey, now there's a good idea! I'm gonna stop the guy with a gun by poking him with this screwdriver. Or maybe, he will hold still and not shoot for a second or so and I can whack him with this hammer. Yeah; that is gonna do the job just fine.

How about this: Maybe instead of hammers and screwdrivers, we could let those Teachers and pertinent employees who are licensed and want to be armed with something a bit better then a damned kitchen drawer tool, carry a defensive firearm which can also be used to wound or better yet, actually stop a damn intruder a heck of a lot better than some damn tool?

The crap we are reading; the silly crap we are hearing...and being told...it's getting ridiculous. Screwdrivers...Jeebus. It's so damned stupid its almost funny. Except it's not. What will they think of next?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The "hide" portion has been misapplied. You don't just hide under a desk. You find a location that you can barricade, so the shooter can't see inside and can't force their way inside. Once you've secured the hide, you arm yourself and stand prepared to fight in case the shooter manages to get inside. Is running better than hiding? Of course, but only if you can run WITHOUT running across or into a kill zone. That's why the DHS training is "run if you can, hide if you can't, and fight as a last resort.

Simply jumping under a desk was never a part of the training, so the complaints are a bit disingenuous.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Imagine an untrained non-murderer using a hammer, bottle or brick kill another human. Death with any caliber long or handgun seems prefroble
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/experts-schools’-active-shooter-prep-being-done-the-wrong-way/ar-BBJHq02?li=BBnb7Kz

Interesting. I guess the old "run, hide, fight" thing is no longer fashionable. Now, "experts" are saying to just run. But I found this advice really interesting too: "...called on schools to install safety features that can prevent casualties in the event of a mass shooting, such as classroom doors that can be locked from the inside without keys as well as keeping objects such as hammers or screwdrivers that could wound an intruder".

So now, some of the experts are advising that objects like hammers and screwdrivers should be kept in classrooms that can be used to wound an intruder. Hey, now there's a good idea! I'm gonna stop the guy with a gun by poking him with this screwdriver. Or maybe, he will hold still and not shoot for a second or so and I can whack him with this hammer. Yeah; that is gonna do the job just fine.

How about this: Maybe instead of hammers and screwdrivers, we could let those Teachers and pertinent employees who are licensed and want to be armed with something a bit better then a damned kitchen drawer tool, carry a defensive firearm which can also be used to wound or better yet, actually stop a damn intruder a heck of a lot better than some damn tool?

The crap we are reading; the silly crap we are hearing...and being told...it's getting ridiculous. Screwdrivers...Jeebus. It's so damned stupid its almost funny. Except it's not. What will they think of next?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Dear teacher...........

"We the governing body, deem carrying a firearm during your teaching day simply too stressful for you and the teaching profession. Therefore, we are arming you with a hammer and a screwdriver. We hope you'll find it much less stressful knowing that you'll need to have immediate contact with intruder, and have proper placement of said weapons should you have any hope of disabling the intruder. Keep in mind he may be firing a semi automatic weapon at you and your students while you are attempting to bludgeon or impale the intruder. Please use extreme caution should you find it necessary to defend yourself and your classroom. Also, be rest assured, law enforcement will only be several minutes away."

Sincerely,

We care, but we don't care that much

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what the current drill is here in Oklahoma. I retired from Higher Ed here in Oklahoma 4 years ago. I really hope it's better now than it was then. While I was at UCO, we had a workshop for employees about campus shootings one time. But other than say that we were concerned about it, and to some degree, put a check mark in the appropriate box for having the workshop, we never really had a solid plan for an active shooter there or at any of the other colleges I was at. Well, let me say it this way; if we had a real plan, I darn sure didn't know about it. I also remember several years ago at OCCC when somebody started passing the word that there was a shooter on campus and so somebody pulled a fire alarm in the Library Building to get everyone to run out of the building. As students and employees were running out, the OKC Police, who were outside in response to what I imagine was a phone call about a shooter, or maybe they came because of the fire alarm, well they were hollering at everyone to get back in! People inside were yelling for you to get out and the Police outside were yelling to get back in! There were OKC Fire Trucks pulling in too; lights and sirens and the whole bit. Lots of drama! An armed CLEET certified campus policeman apparently took it upon himself and was going to go "clear the library" and I can only guess he had his finger on the trigger because he had a negligent discharge, once inside, shooting a hole in a wall inside the building. Thank the Good Lord he didn't hit anyone. Anyway, the whole thing turned out to be a false alarm; there was no shooter. The OKC Police left, the Fire Department left, and we all went back to class/work. Except the campus cop who shot the library. I think he got the rest of the day off, but I'm not even real sure about that. The Chancellor for Higher Ed, Glen Johnson, was quite fond of saying. "There is no scenario where having guns on campus will do anything but increase the danger to students, faculty and staff." It was a ludicrous environment. I am thankful we never had an incident with some crazed person coming on campus to wreak havoc.

Edit: During this time as described above, I was fairly recently retired from the USMC, was a licensed SDA Instructor, and most knew that I was a firearms enthusiast. Some, if not most, also viewed me with some trepidation...like I might be one who would become an "active shooter" because I was "that ex-Marine guy...he's crazy; he likes guns!" I asked, and was denied, several times to get my College's Presidents to authorize me to carry, in accordance with the provisions of the law. None were willing to let me. They knew the Chancellor would have their butt! I am so glad I am now retired. I am a firm believer in education, but we do have some awfully dumb, scared people in positions of power in our state system. I mean quivering-hide-your-head-in-the-sand dumb.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dear teacher...........

"We the governing body, deem carrying a firearm during your teaching day simply too stressful for you and the teaching profession. Therefore, we are arming you with a hammer and a screwdriver. We hope you'll find it much less stressful knowing that you'll need to have immediate contact with intruder, and have proper placement of said weapons should you have any hope of disabling the intruder. Keep in mind he may be firing a semi automatic weapon at you and your students while you are attempting to bludgeon or impale the intruder. Please use extreme caution should you find it necessary to defend yourself and your classroom. Also, be rest assured, law enforcement will only be several minutes into away."

Sincerely,

We care, but we don't care that much

P.S. Maybe you could also use these tools to do much needed maintenance to your classroom in light of the fact that we just took another severe budget blow thanks to our fine state government officials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is copious nonsense being presented on this matter. I’m responsible for active shooter/workplace violence training for my employer, so I tend to read books as they are released and attend multiple conferences and trainings every year. A couple of years ago schools actually promoted the ide of parents sending their children to school with a couple of cans of soup or vegetables, so that their little ones could pelt an attacker with them if necessary. Let that sink in. Gun free, expell you for pointing your finger, schools are directing students to arm themselves, albeit inefficiently. After all, if anyone needs clobbered with canned peas, for heaven’s sake call the police! They are licensed and trained to throw canned food.

Latest posts

Top Bottom