Ask a Chef

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HKCHEF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recommend sani-safe knives for a cheap easily sharpened no frills kitchen knife. I personally have some high end Japanese knives(masahiro, shun, hattori) I prefer over the German stuff. But really buying cheaper kitchen knives made for commercial use will last a long time under residential use.

I use the apex pro and ceramic honing rod for sharpening.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll watch this thread,I like the idea,and if it stays on target for a while,I'll sticky it.

Ohhhhh ... aren't you the big guy on campus!??! Thank you sweetie!!

You know Iloveyoulongtime, right?? :) So ... are there any special tips and tricks Steve wants to know?? ;)

And just to keep it on track ...

I'm looking for a good hummus recipe ... I like hummus but am tiring of my "go to" recipe ... any of you guys got one you want to share?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the secret to hard boiled eggs that are easy to peel?

Put eggs in pot fill with cold water bring to boil with high heat as soon as they they are boiling remove from heat cover and let sit for 10 to 12 min depending on size off eggs. Then peel while they are still warm.

I usually cook about a gross of hardboiled eggs between thanksgiving and christmas everyone seems to like my jalapeno deviled eggs. I have found that old eggs are also much easier to peel. I try to plan when I will be doing eggs so I can buy them 3 weeks out. I have horrible luck with freshly bought eggs.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL ... works for us too! However, I started cooking a LOT more when I didn't have a full-time job too. Nothing sucks more than working all day and then coming home to "what's for dinner, honey?" when certain other individuals who shall remain unnamed got off work 3 hours earlier and has already had a nap ...

Have I mentioned I like being a Stepford wife?? LOL

I have the opposite problem. If my wife get's off early, she'll get out in the kitchen and start cooking before I get home. It's not that she's a bad cook or makes things I don't like or anything, it's just that I LOVE cooking.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[Keep in mind this is coming from a bachelor] I like preventive cooking - the kind where you make as little a mess as possible, to minimize cleanup. That having been said, what's a good recipe that uses Ramen noodles? I've tried cracking a couple eggs into a soup bowl (discarding the yolks of all but one egg - cholesterol, you know), mixing in part of the seasoning package that comes with the Ramen noodles, and then breaking up the brick of noodles into smaller chunks into the eggs. Spread out the noodles evenly, then pop the bowl into the microwave on High for about 1:30. Might have to pull the bowl out before the timer ends, and move the uncooked egg mix toward the edges of the bowl, then pop the bowl back into the microwave.

Don't laugh - it's quick, simple, pretty good, uses materials that don't go stale/bad after just a couple days, and the only things needing cleanup are the bowl and the fork! :D

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always wondered if you really need to wash the pots and pans if your gonna just get stuff hot in 'em next time anyway...won't that kill all the germs?

Latest posts

Top Bottom