Auto A/C problem... 'tis the season, eh? lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this might be worth reading ...

Chevrolet Tahoe Climate Control AC Problems
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fdc6e

definitely call the dealer to find out if there's any related technical bulletins

new radiator for a 2004 Tahoe is $164 online. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/d...QReplacementQQRadiatorQQ20002004QQP21362.html

there is a radiator wholesaler in Tulsa and OKC that sells at about same price to repair shops and/or most anyone claiming to be doing auto repair.

to find out how shop charged. take the shop rate hour x flat rate for job.
I don't have a current flat rate manual.

lets use 4 hours (aprox) to R&R radiator + parts cost = $700
say shop rate is $75hr ... 4 x $75 = $300 labor + $400 radiator/hoses/anti-freeze = $700

above formula can be used to determine how shops bid auto repair jobs not just AC.
shops also may include chemical costs like anti-freeze, oil, R-134, etc.

R&R = remove and replace
flat rate = time listed to do specific jobs.
shop rate = listed hourly rate posted for shop

say flat rate to change out a water pump is 2.5 hours.
first mechanic is super fast and does job in 1 hour= he charges 2.5 hours
second mechanic is not familiar with water pump job and take 4.5 hours = he charges 2.5 hours

mechanics at dealerships are famous for beating flate rate times paid.
because they work on the same model vehicles over and over. they know exactly what tools and procedures and have those jobs down pat.

on the flip side, they get stuck with loaded jobs that pays say 3 hours, when they know it's going to take 5 hours.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I did some research and found radiators under $200 online...However, I was unfortunately on vacation and had to have the truck fixed in OKC while I was there and didn't want to risk driving home 2.5 hours with a radiator I could physically see leaking from a hole. Radiator cost was $250 and change. Ergo, I had to find a local shop to do the work, was stuck at a hotel with only my phone and the hotel lobby computer for internet and limited time to accomplish it all, as this was discovered at 9PM and we were SUPPOSED to be leaving by noon the next day.

As for the shop rates, I know the R&R times are determined by a book... but I also know they have leeway and don't HAVE to charge EXTRA for some things... like an hour's labor to replace the thermostat (an upsell by the mechanic) when the whole system is already torn down... like $45.00 to do a "coolant change" when they have to drain the whole thing in order to do the first job (replace the radiator), etc.

Bottom line is... they screwed me once... they got my money. It'll never happen again. I will NEVER go back to PepBoys in ANY city, EVER. So they made a dime off me... instead of the potential for a repeat customer in the future. Short-sighted business. Not a good way to run things. But hey... seems to be working for them, for now. I can think of some LARGE national chains who have lately gone out of business because they couldn't compete - Blockbuster, Circuit City, etc. Take care of your customers, people, and they will be loyal.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant see them charging more than 3hrs for a rad and therm and thats with a little bit of time added. Maybe another hour for diag and 1 more hour for A/C check and possible partial charge. That would be 5 hrs total @ lets say 80hr = $400. Radiator $250, thermostat and seal $20, coolant $40. Refrigerant for A/C (maybe?) $25. Shop supplies/hazard waste disposal charge???

Anyway I bloated a few of those prices but in reality not by much and I only guessed the labor rate too. If you took my prices above (which are a little high) they total over 700 and thats without taxes, surcharges for supplies or waste disposal. Did they charge you anything for the A/C check?

Sorry you feel "had" but really if you add all of the stuff up, everything together, they might not be too far off on what a typical charge would be anywhere else. I am not sticking up for Pep Boys and I would never take my vehicles there either. Sure you found a cheaper part online, but they dont jump online and google search for the cheapest parts available. they probably found one locally to get you back on the road asap.

Is this the truck with all that add-on electrical equipment? Maybe they had to add more time to access/move some of that equipment for repairs?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that's basically what I thought too... $700 for everything was not cheap, but not out of line either.

ordering a radiator online when you are down is out of the question.
posted it above purely for comparison purposes. what counts is who has radiator in stock right now.

in Tulsa my supplier (http://www.northernfactory.com/) for radiators has been very competitive vs online prices and has an excellent on hand inventory.

I cant see them charging more than 3hrs for a rad and therm and thats with a little bit of time added. Maybe another hour for diag and 1 more hour for A/C check and possible partial charge. That would be 5 hrs total @ lets say 80hr = $400. Radiator $250, thermostat and seal $20, coolant $40. Refrigerant for A/C (maybe?) $25. Shop supplies/hazard waste disposal charge???

Anyway I bloated a few of those prices but in reality not by much and I only guessed the labor rate too. If you took my prices above (which are a little high) they total over 700 and thats without taxes, surcharges for supplies or waste disposal. Did they charge you anything for the A/C check?

Sorry you feel "had" but really if you add all of the stuff up, everything together, they might not be too far off on what a typical charge would be anywhere else. I am not sticking up for Pep Boys and I would never take my vehicles there either. Sure you found a cheaper part online, but they dont jump online and google search for the cheapest parts available. they probably found one locally to get you back on the road asap.

Is this the truck with all that add-on electrical equipment? Maybe they had to add more time to access/move some of that equipment for repairs?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's ok... lots of people probably think I'm a ripoff, too. at least 2 tonight that I can think of who want to file complaints against me... oh well. Hope they like fish heads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom