Auto A/C problem... 'tis the season, eh? lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think he wins the tool whore prize. What's worse is he probably buys at them way below cost there original cost.

I'm sure of that... probably at below pawn shop "give" prices even. He's a very good negotiator and finder of things.

You've got quite a stash yourself though too I'll bet.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure of that... probably at below pawn shop "give" prices even. He's a very good negotiator and finder of things.

You've got quite a stash yourself though too I'll bet.

A few but mostly stuff my dad collected over the years. My collection seems primative compared to some of the toys Charles has posted. My hat goes off to guys like Charles who have the tools and knowledge to use them. I think people like him are a dying breed.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so true.... so true... total tool nut here.

have always thought .... a quick way to find out what someone is all about is to look at his tools.

I think he wins the tool whore prize. What's worse is he probably buys at them way below cost there original cost.

soonertodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's low on freon,need to have someone recover the system,pull a vacum on it to leak check,add dye and recharge to the correct level. those cans i've seen with the low side gauge on them are pretty worthless

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you think that gauge is off? I agree it probably low on refrigerant, but those pressures seemed out of this world to me for a "low side" reading. I'm not above buying the gauges and a good vacuum to try to get by doing so e of this myself. I can probably replace o-rings and lines and then pull a vacuum on the system to test it... Then I just have to figure out how to add back in the proper amount.

So is my cheap gauge reading incorrectly, or are those high readings consistant with a slow leak and low refrigerant? I wouldn't have thought so.... I was afraid something is already wrong with my compressor, but it still is working "ok" at highway speeds...

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if low on refrigerant the low side pressure readings should get below 40-45psi and stay under that pressure with the A/C on. The short cycling of the compressor is consistant with a low charge, but the pressure readings you recorded are not. You either need to figure out if you have a guage problem, along with the possibility of a low charge. A low pressure cycle switch could be out of specs causing this too.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to have a shop look at it today. Unfortunately, it is going in the shop for something else. :(

I'm on a short trip for my son's birthday to OKC and have developed a hole in my radiator. I am going to have to have that fixed before I can go home. What a PITA... it's always something.

But, I will have them at least check out the A/C if not fix the problem while it's there. My plan is to use PepBoys, as they are close and should be able to handle most, if not all of the work, right? Trying to decide if I should go buy the radiator myself to take with me for install, thus saving some time and also the parts markup at the shop, or just drop the truck, get a rental and let them handle everything.

soonertodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when the A/C guys give up they will tell you this, "its blowing 30 deg below ambient temp so it is working correctly"

WRONG!!!

haha that is funny, when i worked for GM that is actually what they call within spec. i never could tell anyone that is right. one reason the low side readings are prob high is because the compressor is not staying on long enough to pull it down to where it should be. if you are gonna be in the OKC area you can bring it by our shop i'm at a dealership

Latest posts

Top Bottom