Automatic Stand By Generator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone out there have an auto stand by generator? I've been through many ice/thunder/wind/tornado/typical Oklahoma BS storms and have been w/o power for many days at a time. It wasn't so bad until my family got bigger and bigger. Now I'm out in Logan County, but my power comes from Kingfisher. Any storm in Kingfisher, my power here, near Guthrie, goes out. I'm going to buy one of these but was wondering about brands. Also, I'm sure I can install it (Logan County Style) but should I hire it out anyway for warranty/piece of mind reasons? Are there inspections required?

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one. Put in by my Rural Electric Coop. Caddo Electric. It works well. Got us through the last big ice storm. They have a generator program. That gives me a reduced rate. But, I am subject to the coop turning the line electricity off on high load days. About 10 days so far this year. Runs on propane. Would not be without one in the country. Mine is a 20 KW
Generac.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy mine thru eletricgeneratorsdierct.com. Havnt bought one in about 6 months, but they have always had some of the best prices I could find. Stick with Generac. IIRC they have a load calculator on their site so you can decide what all you want to run, and how large of a generator you need. Also, pay the extra $50 for the liftgate service. Otherwise, a semi pulls up in front of your house and the driver opens the door and points at it for you to unload.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 20KW Generac. It easily runs a 1,800 SQ Ft house, 3 out buildings & several outdoor security lights. With a flick of a switch and you can run it off of either natural gas or propane. I have mine on Natural Gas. Got it at Locke's Supply for approx. $5000.... that included the all-weather whole house auto transfer switch, the battery & charger. I hired a electrical contractor to do the work because of the city codes and warranty.

You want to be sure that when you wire it up.. that when the generator is on, your house is isolated so it won't back-feed the main utility line. You don't want to risk some utility worker repairing their lines getting electrocuted by your generator.

http://www.generac.com/Residential/Guardian/Products/Guardian_Series_20_kW/

FYI- You will need help moving the generator. My unit weighs 600+ pounds. It took 3 large guys almost a hour to move it from the truck in the alley..up a 6" step, through my 36" gate to the concrete pad... about 35 feet. That was what I liked about Locke's Supply, they delivered the generator and moved it to the pad for me at no extra charge. That alone probably saved me several hundred $'s in labor costs if I'd had to hire it done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom