Bad Lot of 22 LR??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A batch of Federal 22LR bulk pack that I am using has a whole bunch of misfires. I am using them in my CMMG conversion for my M4 Bushie. When they discharge, the unit works flawlessly, but there seems to be an abnormally high rate of misfires with this particular lot or batch. I am talking of 1 in 4 or 5 cartidges failing to go bang.
Just to be certain that it is not the CMMG unit that is causing the problem, I am going to take the box of rounds and try them in my 22 Ruger SP-101 revolver today. If there is still a bunch of misfires, I will conclude that it is the ammunition and not the CMMG unit.
Any other thoughts on this?
Incidentally, when I look at the firing pin indentations in the cases that have misfired, they are nice and deep, so my suspicion is a bad lot of ammunition.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this is bad news.... Remington .22 LR gold bullets been having same problem. been looking for Federal bulk to avoid all the failure to ignite.

shooting mine mostly through Ruger MKII which feeds great when bullets fire. failure rate have been high as 25 per 250 rounds. have refired multiple duds through MKII with multiple hard strikes on .22 case.

A Walmart manager has promised to replace with Federal bulk, but have not came through. several months now waiting for federal bulk to show up.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this is bad news.... Remington .22 LR gold bullets been having same problem. been looking for Federal bulk to avoid all the failure to ignite.

shooting mine mostly through Ruger MKII which feeds great when bullets fire. failure rate have been high as 25 per 250 rounds. have refired multiple duds through MKII with multiple hard strikes on .22 case.

A Walmart manager has promised to replace with Federal bulk, but have not came through. several months now waiting for federal bulk to show up.

I'm just about off to my range with my SP 101 right now, so I'll tell how it goes.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okie-dokie, I took the SP-101 out and put about 50-60 rounds through it and they all went bang. So it doesn't seem to be the ammunition.
Back to square one.
I'll look the CMMG unit over and clean it out and see if that helps.
Incidentally, I found out that old cow-pies make good targets. Just don't stand too close when you shoot at them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom