Baddog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha, I like the idea of a field goal, but if were are talking a 50-60 pound Pit, do you think that would work?

Yes. But if you do it wrong, there's a good chance you'll break your foot. I've just never been a big fan of people talking about shooting dogs especially if it's only 1 dog. Short of a Great Dane or Mastiff type, I wouldn't think twice about taking any dog down with my hands. But I've owned larger (aggressive breed) dogs my entire life. I think a lot of the fear is from not being around larger dogs much and it's understandable. People that own the bigger breeds I think would be the least likely to shoot.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out on my motosickle one day, I ended up on an extremely loose gravel road. Front end and back tire were all over the place. I was really fighting it just to keep it sunny side up. Then outta left field comes this damn rottie. He was taking advantage of my greatly reduced speed and biting at my leg. I knew it was going to end bad if I laid the bike down with this bastard all over me. I landed a punch to his eye and nothing happened, except losing more control of the bike. I hit the gas and jolt forward a bit, the dog followed. I immediately let off so the dog would be just a little forward of me and I landed a kick to the throat. That was the last I saw of that damn thing.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing with kicking a dog is ... well ... unlike people, dogs tend to learn from their mistakes. If you take a kick at a dog that's been kicked before, and that dog wants a piece of you, you are screwed.

Much as I love dogs, I'd shoot one I thought was not bluffing. That said, shooting would not be my first instinct. But then I've been around dogs all my life (and I don't mean I've had dogs as pets all my life) and understand some of the nuances of a dog's body language that most folks don't get. Just because a dog is barking and charging does not mean it is gonna attack you. A lot depends on it's training (or lack thereof) and previous interactions with people -- both big question marks that you are not gonna figure out in the time alloted if a dog is charging toward you. Tough call all the way around.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pull your gun?? Shoot the dog?? What the???

While out on bike rides, I've stopped many a charging dog dead in their tracks by spraying water from a water bottle right in their face.

Damn I should have brought a gun instead! What was I thinking?

Latest posts

Top Bottom