Beans and Cornbread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
had beans w/ salt pork & corn bread for lunch. it was good, but not as good as the beans my folks used to make when they had their barbque shack. they'd put left over brisket from the day before in em. they were mighty good, but still not as good as JL's beans. there is no beans good as JL's beans.

Shootum

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nuthin like a good hot steamin bowl of brown beans, fried taterins, coleslaw and a big peace of white cornbread. I put in one hot chile per cup of beans to heat them up. Yum ohh, don't get to have this much anymore trying to eat right these days.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So who else has a pot of beans cooking today? Instead of a ham hock, I put in 2lbs of pulled pork. ;)

Damn you! Now I gots to have me some dang beans in a bad way! Waanna try sumthin' different but really good? Try sliced up hot links rather than ham or pork or whatever. UUMMMMM, UUMMMMM!

(And yeah, I like Jiffy too!)

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn you! Now I gots to have me some dang beans in a bad way! Waanna try sumthin' different but really good? Try sliced up hot links rather than ham or pork or whatever. UUMMMMM, UUMMMMM!

(And yeah, I like Jiffy too!)

Once when I was low on funds I needed some meat to put in a pot of beans. I found a jar of redhots, like the ones you used to get in bars. I slice em up, cooked them in the beans. When it was done the hotlinks tasted just like they did when fresh out of the jar. Practically ruined the beans.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I like beans but I prefer it to be 75% or more beans with the occasional bite of pork. Because although it adds good flavor to beans it kinda blands the flavor of the pork out. Anybody ever add bacon to their beans? Sounds good.

That would be a yes. Big chunks of thick fresh side bacon. Wife can't stand the smell so this is a twice a year meal:( (the smell of the beans cooking) :)

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beans and cornbread saved my life many times!

When I was going to school, beans and cornbread was one of my staples. The Skaggs/Albertson's around the corner used to sell marked down ham. They would basically cut it up into chunks and sell it for $1 per pound. Add a few boxes of Jiffy cornbread and I swear I could eat all week on only $5.

Latest posts

Top Bottom