Beginners shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
#4 buck in a 20ga would seemingly suck to have to absorb as the target. Recoil is mild and the shot load should be deadly. If memory serves that is 21 balls.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most anybody who knows me knows that I do love a good scattergun. My bedside companion (other than Mrs GED :naughty:) is my Mossberg 590. If I were marooned on a deserted island, it's the gun I would want with me. It's actually a little overkill in the shotgun department. Most of the crap on it is just for flash. A Mossberg model 88 "Maverick" will do everything the 590 will do and for about half the price.

The shotgun market is getting about as bad as the AR-15 crowd as far as whiz bang tacticool gidgets and gazmos you can install. Preferrably, I think all a good scattergun needs is something to hold more rounds and maybe some type of light mounted on it.

My 590 wears a Tac-Star 6 round side saddle and a Speedfeed stock which holds another 4 rounds (slugs) within a pair of two round magazines - one on either side of the stock.

For me a regular ol' bead sight works just fine. Ghost ring and rifle sights are kinda over rated in my opinion, but they are big selling points.

A good sturdy sling is a must have too. Doesn't need to be a fancy $75 sling, just a strap that holds it secure.

As for the ammo issue? Hmmm...it's been hashed out as much as the 9mm vs .45, Chevy vs. Ford, Mary Ann vs. Ginger debates. I stoke mine with Winchester 2 3/4" 00 Buck, but an ounce of lead is an ounce of lead. For a HD shotgun, you won't be firing at a target any more than 15-20 feet away at the most. At that range, it probably won't matter. :disappoin

As always, YMMV. ;)

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was definately Mary Ann for me. Now what were we talking about????

Oh yeah. I have a 30+ year old Winchester pump that has a mean sounding action. There's just something about that sound. I think the BGs first instinct would be to get out after hearing that.

Mine is 12 ga but I think 20 ga would certainly be adequate..

Latest posts

Top Bottom