Bermuda Grass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lawn marbling is what Bermuda does during a sudden onset of cool weather. It's a rhizome turf, so one "root" can grow a bunch of small independent patches (like this) or one giant mass (usually found in wild or invasive bermuda). When it turns like this, the furthest point from the nearest rhizome root starts to go dormant first because there's not enough energy/sun/warmth/etc to keep the entire plant growing. Cut off the hand to save the arm type thing. You still have enough sunlight for it to live, but not the warmth. That's why you get the oddly satisfying pattern, like marble.

When the warm temps linger like most years, a lawn will typically go dormant slowly turning brown evenly across the lawn due to a lack of sunlight instead of temp.
Same reason Aspen trees are the largest living organism on earth. Every tree is connected to the next. If one side has plenty of water, the water will be transferred to the other side that is lacking water in the grove. That's also why they also turn yellow at the same time.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Post up a pic and Cliff Claven comes out of retirement.
This statement is not directed toward anyone it just makes me smile. Plus I miss Cheers.:)

Gonna be in Boston next week.....may have to see if it's still open. It's been many years since I've been to Cheers!

:drunk5:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've never seen bermuda grass do that.

I sure didn't know that every aspen tree was connected either.

The things you learn on OSA.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got pine trees which means I have to mow throw the winter to keep the needles bagged up or else they’ll kill the grass. Maybe only monthly through winter but mowing for me is a year long activity.

I had a neighbor who planted Kentucky Blue Grass. He was mowing after every snowfall.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got pine trees which means I have to mow throw the winter to keep the needles bagged up or else they’ll kill the grass. Maybe only monthly through winter but mowing for me is a year long activity.

Sounds like its time to cut down some pine trees LOL..............

I actually had pine trees in the adjoining yard at my old house that always dropped pine needles in my yard. The only time I ever cleaned up the pine needles was when I was starting a fire in the fire pit. Never could get grass to grow in that area. Makes a lot of sense now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom