Blah! Dog troubles ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ... so it seems my GSD has taken a liking to the stray-that-followed-me-home's poo ... :saywhat:

Yeah ... and while it makes less poo for me to pick up ... :saywhat: :bolt: he has acquired a wicked case of the runs ... :crying: and his gut just rolls and growls and buckles all the time ... :cry3:

I've been giving him Pepto and that is working okay ... UNTIL he scarfs up more poo ... :oops3:

Anybody had this problem?? How did you fix it?? Jackie was prone to eat poo when I first got her but all I had to do was yell "NO" at her and chase her off it and she stopped. I've done everything with him short of beatin' him with a stick. Plus, even though I've taken to letting them out at different times, and cleaning up before the next one gets to go, he's still having problems ... He eats grass, he licks up urine, he eats cat poo, duck poo ... :shocked: I dunno what's up with him because he didn't do this when we first got him ... :scratch:

He's not sick ... well, other than what eating all this **** is doing to his gut ...

Any ideas?? I'm just about ready to tape his mouth shut and buy stock in Pepto-Bismol ... :crying:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They pay big money for fecal transplants nowdays..... you should feel lucky.

What are you feeding him?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They pay big money for fecal transplants nowdays..... you should feel lucky.

What are you feeding him?

LOL ...

Same thing he's been getting for the last year ... IAMS Lamb and Rice ... Or Chicken and Rice. His paperwork said he had a "sensitive stomach" and they weren't kidding. He's finicky ... well at least he used to be :P ... as they come.

I'm wondering if he's missing a nutrient or vitamin or something. At first I thought he'd been poisoned, but Dawg didn't get sick and they are usually out together ... Well, until this started.

It's just a royal PITA ... if he shits in the house one more time GC is gonna kill him and me both ... :lookaroun

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he was eating his own poo feed him some pineapples. But here a link about more info http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_PoopEating.php

OK, thanks ... I'm seriously looking at muzzling him when he goes outside. This is NUTS ... :nolike:

ETA: Hmmmmm ... I think I know what the problem is. I've never heard of dogs eating poop because of separation anxiety, but he's a prime candidate ... He's stuck to me like glue unless I put them outside. And when I tell him "outside" you'd think he was being abandoned the way he acts ... We can't leave him inside when we leave the house because he tears stuff up ... It is interesting that he only eats other critters' poo but not his own. :scratch:

I've got plenty of pumpkin ... I see that getting mixed into the greek yogurt he's getting right now to try and straighten him back out ... literally ... lol

Thanks for the link. It was very helpful ...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL ...

Same thing he's been getting for the last year ... IAMS Lamb and Rice ... Or Chicken and Rice. His paperwork said he had a "sensitive stomach" and they weren't kidding. He's finicky ... well at least he used to be :P ... as they come.

I'm wondering if he's missing a nutrient or vitamin or something. At first I thought he'd been poisoned, but Dawg didn't get sick and they are usually out together ... Well, until this started.

It's just a royal PITA ... if he shits in the house one more time GC is gonna kill him and me both ... :lookaroun

I'm gonna say this lightly, because people get upset when you tell them this but IAMs is junk.

Their ingredient list....

Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Egg Product, Potassium Chloride, Flax Meal, Monosodium Phosphate, Salt, Fructooligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid.

First five ingredients are crap....

I really don't know if changing the food would solve your GSD's problem though....hard to tell if he's deficient or not. Be careful with the pumpkin.... ask me how I know.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna say this lightly, because people get upset when you tell them this but IAMs is junk.

Their ingredient list....

Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Egg Product, Potassium Chloride, Flax Meal, Monosodium Phosphate, Salt, Fructooligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid.

First five ingredients are crap....

I really don't know if changing the food would solve your GSD's problem though....hard to tell if he's deficient or not. Be careful with the pumpkin.... ask me how I know.

You are not hurting my feelings at all. Maybe it's not IAMS ... I'd have to look on the bag. But I do know it's either the Lamb and Rice or Chicken and Rice because he can't eat anything else. What is surprising me is that he has just developed this problem. BUT we've been gone a lot more here lately and he and Dawg are spending more time outside than usual.

My back yard is cleaner than it's ever been, poo-wise, because I pick it up the second they are done. It's just when I put them out and we leave to go do anything and then come back that there is a problem.

And let me tell you, you haven't lived until you tried to get a syringe full of Pepto-Bismol down a 80 pound dog ... lol He's finally learned that he's gonna have to take it, no matter what ... but man ... it's too funny too see such a beautiful, majestic dog go run and stick his head under a chair because he thinks you can't get to him if he can't see you ... :P

Will the pumpkin bind him up?? I think I've read where a 1/2 a cup is the "usual" dose ... I should start with less??

Latest posts

Top Bottom