Blah! Dog troubles ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny--just the other day I received an e-mail from the folks at Labrador Savvy on this subject. Here's a relevant excerpt:
Besides walking and stimulating his brain more, and having him checked for worms, just like there are many reasons for the behavior, there are also many offered solutions.

Pick up all of your Labrador's droppings, whether in your yard or out at the park. It's courteous, and it will also take feces off the available menu for your dog. When you catch him in the act, redirect his attention with a toy or a treat, and he may catch on that he has no need to eat faeces.

There are over-the-counter products available that can help, as they add a mineral that makes their faeces smell even less appetizing, but there is some are trial and error with thesse products I'm afraid. A brand that works for one dog won't work for another and visa versa. I've had good look with NaturVet Coprophagia Deterrent Chews and Healthy Select Coprophagia Tablets.
The message was more about a dog eating its own feces, but I'd imagine that it would apply to Litter Box Crunchies, too.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GC and I completely disagree on this particular issue ... I don't crate my dogs.
Hmm. My dog is crate trained--it's the only way Destruct-O-Matic can be allowed in the house. The Monks of New Skete highly recommended it in The Art of Raising a Puppy, and their method for crate training worked very well, in my (admittedly limited) experience.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's better, thanks for asking. Their pen is spotless, he's finally learned that he's gonna take his Pepto whether he wants to or not (besides he gets a cracker with PB when it's over). The greek yogurt and pumpkin seem to be helping ... but damn he poops like an elephant now.

I also started feeding them twice a day instead of just in the evenings.

He's a good dog. I love him to death ... but peuey his farts are unbearable right now. Hoping that will dissapate -- literally lol -- in a week or so.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm. My dog is crate trained--it's the only way Destruct-O-Matic can be allowed in the house. The Monks of New Skete highly recommended it in The Art of Raising a Puppy, and their method for crate training worked very well, in my (admittedly limited) experience.

I almost wosh I had room for a crate to give it a try. Sometimes they drive me nuts because every step I take is matched by those two. I'll say this they get their exercise. ...

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GC and I completely disagree on this particular issue ... I don't crate my dogs. Funny story, though ... prophet has left his and his folks' dogs with me a few times over the years. His dogs are crate trained so he would bring their crate with them. When Jackie was still alive, she would go to create with Chris's dogs when I would tell them to "go to bed" ... lol

I dunno if Nero was ever crate trained ... he won't get in the doghouse he has outside, no matter how bad the weather is. He's gotta be the most neurotic dog I've ever had ... :scratch:

I only crate the pup when we leave the house and the elderly dog at night because she gets her days and nights mixed up and gets all stressed and keeps us all awake, the crate really does help them. You gotta make it totally worth their while though. We give special crate only treats. I take a bone of theirs smear a bunch of their peanut butter (yes my dogs have their own jar of pb, spoiled big time) and smash some dog food or other treats in. Plus the kongs and antlers. My pup & Sr. both go in the crate on their own through the day just to chill. My middle won't go near it, she used to be crated as a pup until she outgrew her destructive phase. The trick is to slow train them, leave them for 5 mins if they are really freaks, then stretch it out over time.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only crate the pup when we leave the house and the elderly dog at night because she gets her days and nights mixed up and gets all stressed and keeps us all awake, the crate really does help them. You gotta make it totally worth their while though. We give special crate only treats. I take a bone of theirs smear a bunch of their peanut butter (yes my dogs have their own jar of pb, spoiled big time) and smash some dog food or other treats in. Plus the kongs and antlers. My pup & Sr. both go in the crate on their own through the day just to chill. My middle won't go near it, she used to be crated as a pup until she outgrew her destructive phase. The trick is to slow train them, leave them for 5 mins if they are really freaks, then stretch it out over time.

LOL ... mine have their own peanut butter jar too!! :P That's how I get them to take their allergy meds. Piece of bread smeared with peanut butter ... pills stuck on in a kinda grid fashion. Cut it up into little pieces with a pill on each one. Good Lord, they almost knock me down getting their "treat" ...

Poor Nero, the Pepto is a different story but I think he has started associating it with his stomach feeling better because now when I get the syringe he comes to the kitchen and lays down and waits for me. He's been running and hiding his head under the recliner. Poor guy thinks if he can't see me that means I can't see him ... :rotflmao:

And that damned Dawg acts like he's missing out when Nero gets Pepto and he doesn't ... :disappoin I have such strange, strange dogs ... :P

Oh ... and we have all the time in the world around here ... I've noticed that these two are so jealous of each other that if one thinks the other one is getting something special, even if it's something they don't like, they will ante-up ... Neither one of them likes popcorn, but if I put only one piece on the floor they will both run to get it ... and then whoever misses out will give me "puppy eyes" until they get one, too ... They will drop it on the floor and look at it ... then look at me like WTF? Then look at the other dog ... then eat it ... but they sure don't eat it with any gusto! :rotflmao: Silly dogs ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom