Book recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m about 2/3rds through Chad Robicheaux’s Saving Aziz, which covers his efforts to rescue his interpreter during Biden’s Bungle, which led to the creation of the organization Save Our Allies. In that, it’s similar to Scott Mann's Operation Pineapple Express, but where Mann's covers many escapes from the perspective of the escaping Afghans, Robicheaux's is primarily told from his perspective.

Robicheaux also goes more into detail about what went wrong in Biden's Bungle, how it should've been done, and, more importantly, how it should not have been done, as well as the "things you know that ain't so" surrounding it.

It's not as polished as Mann's account, but it also includes more info about the activities of Save Our Allies after Biden cut and ran. F'rinstance, where I am now in the story, he's getting ready to infil into Afghanistan (from Tadzhikistan, I think) after the evacuation to establish exfiltration routes to get at-risk Afghans out from under the Taliban.

For those unaware, Chad Robicheaux was a Force Recon Marine, per his Web site (the show notes for one of the podcasts on which he was recently a guest said he was a Marine Raider), as well as a contractor for an undisclosed gov't agency and an MMA fighter. His Save Our Allies organization was the only (or maybe one of two) organization during Biden's Bungle that was going outside the wire to bring in the people they were trying to rescue. Tim Kennedy has talked quite an bit about what he did as part of the Save Our Allies team that worked outside the wire, but they brought in not just severely at-risk Afghans, but also Americans whom Brandon had abandoned.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mentioned earlier that I listened to The Rock Hole by Reavis Z. Wortham, and now I‘ve listened to the whole Red River mysteries series by him. I highly recommend the books.
The Rock Hole
Burrows
The Right Side of Wrong
Vengeance is Mine
Dark Places
Unraveled

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#MakeAudiobooks

So this one isn’t exactly a book, but about making audiobooks. Last week’s edition of Jack Carr’s Danger Close podcast was a sit-down with author Landon Beach and top audiobook narrators Ray Porter (who reads the entire Terminal List series) and Scott Brick.

It’s probably easier to listen to it if you drop it into your favorite podcast app. Maybe this link will work for that:

https://pca.st/episode/4ab9c650-7609-4866-8890-19df48c98905

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, today's the day--Only the Dead, book 6 in the Terminal List series, was officially released today. Amazon jumped the gun a bit--my pre-ordered copy of the hardback arrived at my brother's house yesterday evening. Audible released it on time though, and I started listening to it today.

Carr's Danger Close podcast released the prologue and first two chapters a couple of weeks ago, and here it is for your listening pleasure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom