Book recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started a new book (an honest to God bound pile of dead tree parts) that I’ve been intending to read for, oh, the last 33 years. It’s John Densmore’s classic, Riders on the Storm: My Life With Jim Morrison and the Doors.

I remember listening to Densmore on the Larry King radio show when the book was first released, and his statement about watching drugs kill his best friend has stuck with me over the intervening years. The pain, even after twenty years, was still evident, and it’s evident in the opening of the book, which begins with his first visit to Morrison‘s grave in Paris in 1975, nearly 4 years after the singer’s death.

It’s not for everyone, but, so far, it’s a hell of a story.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a copy of Surely You Can’t Be Serious: The True Story of Airplane! by David Zucker, Jim Abrahams, and Jerry Zucker (the guys behind the movie). It’s a lot like As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales From the Making of The Princess Bride, and, like As You Wish, it’s one of those that I would recommend getting the audiobook, as much of it is spoken by the people quoted in the book. (Robert Hays, Julie Haggerty, and Beau Bridges recorded their own segments from the book, as did Abrahams and the Zucker brothers.)

FWIW, Beau and Jeff Bridges both contributed to the book, talking about their father, Lloyd, but only Beau recorded his parts. Someone else recorded Jeff’s parts.

I also bought the hardback so I could look at the pictures (behind the scenes and otherwise, many of which are referenced in the text). The book is laid out like a script, with the dialogue from each person marked with their names and set off in block quotes.

If you like Airplane!, I highly recommend this book. If you don’t like the movie, I have to ask: what’s wrong with you?

Now, good luck. We’re all counting on you.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@SoonerP226 how do you focus on those audiobooks?? My ADHD kicks in and next thing I know "we" are 43 chapters deep and I have NO idea what the damned book is even about anymore. BUT ... My house is nice and clean. 😉😁

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@SoonerP226 how do you focus on those audiobooks?? My ADHD kicks in and next thing I know "we" are 43 chapters deep and I have NO idea what the damned book is even about anymore. BUT ... My house is nice and clean. 😉😁
I usually listen while I’m driving on a relatively long trip. I’ve listened to a few that were engaging enough for me to listen to them while I was at home, but I can’t listen to them on my daily commute because I have to pay too much attention to these brain-dead Tulsans to listen to an audiobook.

When I drove my mom out to West Texas back in April for her sister’s memorial service, we listened to Tony Hillerman’s Coyote Waits. There’s a hell of a lot of nothin’ out there, which makes it perfect for listening to audiobooks.

leo78lion

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Screenshot_20231205-120132_Google.jpg

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda nerding out last few books and been reading the fourth wing. It’s got a hunger games feel with dragons in the mix. Fourth wing is the first book and was really good. Now I’m reading the iron flame, which is the 2nd book in the series that just came out. So far really enjoy them both!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a few boops to my head I really struggle with reading and reading comprehension. Actual entire books are borederline impossible for me.
wrestlemania xii wrestling GIF by WWE

Sucks, I used to read a lot of books. Now I just listen to audiobooks. Currently I'm listening to Lights and Sirens: The Education of a Paramedic" by Kevin Grange. Its been very, very good so far, in spite of the fact that I don't really have much interest in paramedic/emt stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Sirens-Education-Kevin-Grange/dp/B01LTHXL1C

Latest posts

Top Bottom