bug out vehicle or foot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I think it depends on what event causes you to bug. If an EMP goes off, most people aren't bugging anywhere in a car. Only pre-1978-ish vehicles will run, and then only maybe. Even in the nuclear atmospheric testing of the 1950's, several of those pre solid-state electronic cars were disabled. The Compton Effect is the real deal, and allows some horribly primitive enemies a way to set us waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy back. Congress completed a very detailed study of what an EMP would do to us. They estimate that within a year of being hit, over 90% of the population would die. This report would have made waves, but was released on the morning of 9/11/01. Kind of got lost in the shuffle, but it should still all be on our minds as we prep.

A great book on the subject is "One Second After" by William Forstchen.

I am not positive on this but if I understand right all you have to do is replace the points and condenser and everything before 82 should work again

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I think it depends on what event causes you to bug. If an EMP goes off, most people aren't bugging anywhere in a car. Only pre-1978-ish vehicles will run, and then only maybe. Even in the nuclear atmospheric testing of the 1950's, several of those pre solid-state electronic cars were disabled. The Compton Effect is the real deal, and allows some horribly primitive enemies a way to set us waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy back. Congress completed a very detailed study of what an EMP would do to us. They estimate that within a year of being hit, over 90% of the population would die. This report would have made waves, but was released on the morning of 9/11/01. Kind of got lost in the shuffle, but it should still all be on our minds as we prep.

I am not positive on this but if I understand right all you have to do is replace the points and condenser and everything before 82 should work again

One Second After is a good book, but it is fiction...loosely based on fact, but fiction.

Real scientific studies (including the Congressional report you mention) of EMP indicate that most cars, and many electronics will actually continue to work after an EMP event. One Second After just highlights the worst case/fantasy effect.

I would be a boring book if we got hit by EMP and everyone was able to still drive their cars...LOL.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not sure about the whole EMP thing knocking out my vehicle. From http://www.empcommission.org/

We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vintages ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The testing was conducted by exposing running and nonrunning automobiles to sequentially increasing EMP field intensities. If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent) was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped. If no anomalous response was observed, the testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).

Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles that were not turned on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately 30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile were damaged and required repair. Other effects were relatively . Twenty-five automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g., blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the 37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.

Based on these test results, we expect few automobile effects at EMP field levels below 25 kV/m. Approximately 10 percent or more of the automobiles exposed to higher field levels may experience serious EMP effects, including engine stall, that require driver intervention to correct. We further expect that at least two out of three automobiles on the road will manifest some nuisance response at these higher field levels. The serious malfunctions could trigger car crashes on U.S. highways; the nuisance malfunctions could exacerbate this condition. The ultimate result of automobile EMP exposure could be triggered crashes that damage many more vehicles than are damaged by the EMP, the consequent loss of life, and multiple injuries.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting read on "bugging out" called "The Bug Out" by David Crawford (author of "Lights Out").

thought that it would apply to more of us than we care to admit.

I have it in PDF if anyone wants to read it. About 50 pages.

Dave

And well worth the read by the way. It really puts into perspective the speculation of driving to a BOL.

Thanks again Dave!

noob2013

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the SHTF, the roads will be jammed with buggers out on the road to nowhere.

Exactly my thoughts ... where do you go? Unless you have an underground bunker somewhere full of supplies, where can you go? But to answer the question, vehicle will probably lasts first 100-200 miles on full tank when SHTF. Then what? Then it's walking ...

As for the bug out bags and weapons. How much weight can you carry on foot? 1 rifle, 1 handgun and possibly 500 rounds of each; some food, containers to filter and boil water; med kits; simple fishing line, perhaps?.

Latest posts

Top Bottom