Burn / Fireworks Ban

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you about Government getting to involved with a lot of stuff in ours lives, we don't need our hand held all the time. The ban is for people out there with no common sense and that is what makes it tough for everyone.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a perfect way to celebrate our Independence from an oppressive Government than to be oppressed by another one telling us what we can and can't do. We can't buy liquor on Sunday or Holidays, we can't shoot fireworks on Independence Day, and on, and on, and on. I hope some of the idiots in other cities choose to let people celebrate responsibly.

Well buddy......................Let me cool off a little before I finish this reply. As a volunteer firefighter that has spent about 10 hours on Sunday controlling a fire that was a result of a "licensed and insured pyrotechnician". (Not sure if responding departments are going to bill for it or not.) I am glad that our county has enacted the burn ban and banned lighting of fireworks. Why should we have to spend 4-6 hours every evening in 100 degree heat risking our lives to putting out fires just so some individuals can support China more by blowing up fireworks. If the damned fireworks are so enjoyable, buy now and celebrate with them on New Years.

Sunday June 26; 160 acres burned, one storage building, 250 gallon propane tank for a restaurant. Started on Saturday night, 3 fire departments responded, approx 25 acres burned. rekindled on Sunday. Winds were gusting 30 mph, temps over 105. At least 12 fire departments responded including ours as we were requested for mutual aid. County had water tankers, and graders. A private individual donated his dozer and operator. Our department was on scene for 10 hours. (We weren't called immediately and some units stayed on scene for almost 8 more hours cleaning up hot spots) Figure the cost of that at $250/hour/truck.

Thursday June 23rd; Lightening started 5 fires in our responding area in less than an hour. We had 2 trucks off on a task force run, when the storms moved in. We responded to the fires and extinguished all of them with no structural loss, only pasture, which in dry times like this is significant to a cattle operation. I believe the total acreage of those fires was about 70 acres. We didn't get any rain in the storms but the high humidity slowed the fires down. Time for just the lightening fires 3.75 hours. Truck count 4. Personnel 8.

I could go back through the rest of the month just like this, either a controlled burn that was left unattended, didn't go as planned, (before burn ban) fireworks, or lightening has been the cause of almost all fires lately.

I pay my taxes as well and volunteer my time. I have been a volunteer firefighter for just under 10 years and I have always served my community and surrounding areas by request with honor. I haven't ever thought twice about getting up in the middle of the night to go to the aid of others. Had to get up from meals, leave in the middle of movies, go to my job after being out on a fire all night and have never thought twice about it.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but this "idiot" (your words) that helped request our county government to enact a burn ban and non permitted fireworks displays will more than likely be away from my family on the 4th of July (my dads birthday as well) putting out fires started by some negligent individuals who in blatant disregard for others lit off there fireworks.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just ment no fireworks sucks...last year rained out....leftovers prob wont be any good next year

No worries twoguns, they'll keep WAY longer than that. Keep them bone dry(including humidity) and they'll store for years and years. I've shot fireworks that were close to 10 years old and didn't have any issues. Just be careful how you store them.

While I think it's sad that they have to implement laws to encourage/coerce/force people to be safe, I don't disagree with the intent. You can get as prepared as you want to be but, especially in this wind, falling debris that still contains embers can travel MUCH farther than anyone can run with a garden hose or fire extinguisher. On a somewhat positive note the current burn bans may be protecting the use of fireworks in the future in some ways because if we have too many fires that are tied to fireworks or (God forbid) the loss of life, that's all some politician is going to need to rally support for a total ban and it'll add Oklahoma to the list of states that can't shoot fireworks at all. We're already a no bottle-rocket state I'd hate to see it get worse.

So be safe everybody!

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If everyone was responsible it would be different... but as a person that has had his property burnt down by a neighbor setting and leaving unattended a trash fire on a 30mph windy day with no rain in months, I can attest first handed that not everyone is responsible.

I like fireworks as much as the next guy, but not enough to see my place burnt down so someone can have a good 4th of July.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 for supporting the burn ban. I'm all for the gov't not meddling in our lives in needless ways, yet at the same time, I recognize the need for common sense measures such as the burn ban. Why should a neighbor lose his house in a fire because someone with a singular lack of common sense figured the enjoyment of his fireworks display was more important than social responsibility?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If everyone was responsible it would be different... but as a person that has had his property burnt down by a neighbor setting and leaving unattended a trash fire on a 30mph windy day with no rain in months, I can attest first handed that not everyone is responsible.

I like fireworks as much as the next guy, but not enough to see my place burnt down so someone can have a good 4th of July.

We're having too many of the same thoughts lately Waltham :)

I'd also say that back in the days when we had less government oppression, people did seem to be a little more responsible. And at the worst, if they were not, you could make sure they were ostracised properly and made an example instead of all the PC crap that protects the idiots nowdays.

People are not nearly as rude or careless when they could encounter real consequenses (to themselves) from their actions.

like2shoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well buddy......................Let me cool off a little before I finish this reply. As a volunteer firefighter that has spent about 10 hours on Sunday controlling a fire that was a result of a "licensed and insured pyrotechnician". (Not sure if responding departments are going to bill for it or not.) I am glad that our county has enacted the burn ban and banned lighting of fireworks. Why should we have to spend 4-6 hours every evening in 100 degree heat risking our lives to putting out fires just so some individuals can support China more by blowing up fireworks. If the damned fireworks are so enjoyable, buy now and celebrate with them on New Years.

Sunday June 26; 160 acres burned, one storage building, 250 gallon propane tank for a restaurant. Started on Saturday night, 3 fire departments responded, approx 25 acres burned. rekindled on Sunday. Winds were gusting 30 mph, temps over 105. At least 12 fire departments responded including ours as we were requested for mutual aid. County had water tankers, and graders. A private individual donated his dozer and operator. Our department was on scene for 10 hours. (We weren't called immediately and some units stayed on scene for almost 8 more hours cleaning up hot spots) Figure the cost of that at $250/hour/truck.

Thursday June 23rd; Lightening started 5 fires in our responding area in less than an hour. We had 2 trucks off on a task force run, when the storms moved in. We responded to the fires and extinguished all of them with no structural loss, only pasture, which in dry times like this is significant to a cattle operation. I believe the total acreage of those fires was about 70 acres. We didn't get any rain in the storms but the high humidity slowed the fires down. Time for just the lightening fires 3.75 hours. Truck count 4. Personnel 8.

I could go back through the rest of the month just like this, either a controlled burn that was left unattended, didn't go as planned, (before burn ban) fireworks, or lightening has been the cause of almost all fires lately.

I pay my taxes as well and volunteer my time. I have been a volunteer firefighter for just under 10 years and I have always served my community and surrounding areas by request with honor. I haven't ever thought twice about getting up in the middle of the night to go to the aid of others. Had to get up from meals, leave in the middle of movies, go to my job after being out on a fire all night and have never thought twice about it.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but this "idiot" (your words) that helped request our county government to enact a burn ban and non permitted fireworks displays will more than likely be away from my family on the 4th of July (my dads birthday as well) putting out fires started by some negligent individuals who in blatant disregard for others lit off there fireworks.

As a fellow volunteer FF who has been to Cement, Medicine Park, Calumet, in addition to 4 fires in our jurisdiction in the last week. AMEN!!!!!!!

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have alot of neat fireworks ready to blow and don't belive logan county has a ban yet,BUT I'm not gunna set the country side on Fire if conditions are not good which is gunna suck. Just have to wait until our first good damp weekend,I believe I can pop them them year round where I am located under our current laws,could be wrong,I'll let the sheriff tell me if he shows up:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom