Burn / Fireworks Ban

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
did it rain at blanchard last night? will they lift burn ban? or is burn ban just automaticly canceled when it rains?

Yes, it did rain here and the burn ban is still in effect. According to the Forestry website, it says that there has been a 30 day ban enacted for McClain County.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drove by the fireworks stands earlier and it looked like little ghost towns. There may be some deals to be had. Store some stuff for next year and hope for the best.

Last edited:

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will not sleep well this weekend.... the "new" people that live in the house next to my place are a bunch of rednecks.... I am a long haired redneck so I feel I can say that without bias.

Anyways, they get together and get to drinking and shooting and hooting and hollering on the weekends... they have no direction to shoot where there isnt a house or a highway so that will tell you what kind of people they are. They also do not have any sort of bullet backstop.

I will spend the weekend with the volunteer fire department on speed dial watching for smoke over in that part of the field. Might as well put the cops on speed dial in case they decide to shoot over 200 rds of pistol and rifle ammo at midnight again.

Yep, the mean old government should leave these nice people alone so they can enjoy their God given right to a great holiday weekend, while I dare not leave the property because I have no doubt if they started a fire they would all leave and swear they didnt have anything to do with it.

Sorry for the anger guys, but it only takes it happening to you once to sour it for you. What about MY right to a safe holiday weekend???????

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a talk at work about this today. Where exactly does it line out in the state statues that the counties have the authority to ban fireworks?? There is actually no mention of them in the state forestry laws concerning burn bans. Furthermore, at what point is the county responsible for the lost revenue for the individuals that depend on this time of year for firework sales?

Just playing devils advocate here. Not really taking one side or the other, just asking questions.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Canadian county is under a burn ban that expires July 1. It will likely be extended as they do it week by week here. 4th of July in Mustang is the coolest day of the year here. Gonna suck not having the fun, but it is what it is.

+1. When I lived in OKC, we used to go to Mustang every 4th. I swear there must have been 50k people shooting fireworks in the parking lots, parks, etc. What a great time.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I want to say is "thank you" to all the firefighters out there (both paid and volunteer) and stay safe. It's gonna be a long weekend ... because there's always an idiot in the crowd.

And to the idiots out there ... it's not the firecrackers that make the holiday what it is ... it's the time you get to spend with family and friends. And in the quiet of the evening, after all the barbeque is eaten and the beer is drunk, the realization that our founding fathers got it right -- and that we are extremely lucky to be living here -- now -- even with all our problems -- in the greatest country in the world.

Wow BB..that was great..well said.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No worries twoguns, they'll keep WAY longer than that. Keep them bone dry(including humidity) and they'll store for years and years. I've shot fireworks that were close to 10 years old and didn't have any issues. Just be careful how you store them.

While I think it's sad that they have to implement laws to encourage/coerce/force people to be safe, I don't disagree with the intent. You can get as prepared as you want to be but, especially in this wind, falling debris that still contains embers can travel MUCH farther than anyone can run with a garden hose or fire extinguisher. On a somewhat positive note the current burn bans may be protecting the use of fireworks in the future in some ways because if we have too many fires that are tied to fireworks or (God forbid) the loss of life, that's all some politician is going to need to rally support for a total ban and it'll add Oklahoma to the list of states that can't shoot fireworks at all. We're already a no bottle-rocket state I'd hate to see it get worse.

So be safe everybody!

Thanks ..kinda thought so ..I always go to the experts.
Dry and packed up this year.
What about the outdoor shootin ranges...would that be in the ban?
I fought forest fires in North Cali a couple years outa high school...looong ago...they are devastating to say the least.
I heard Sultan park in Walters is still going to have some there...if the wind comes up they will stop the arial ones.
May just take Gkids and just watch...yea like BB said

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a talk at work about this today. Where exactly does it line out in the state statues that the counties have the authority to ban fireworks?? There is actually no mention of them in the state forestry laws concerning burn bans. Furthermore, at what point is the county responsible for the lost revenue for the individuals that depend on this time of year for firework sales?

Just playing devils advocate here. Not really taking one side or the other, just asking questions.

I was wondering about the authority to ban the fireworks during the burn ban myself. When I was a Fire Marshal, we wouldn't allow aerial displays when the winds were blowing over 15 MPH. But, that was for permitted displays and the shells were anywhere from 2" to 8" in diameter and requiring at least 800' of clear space to shoot them in. Okc ordinances banned the possession and use of fireworks for personal use citywide years ago. The code states that things like sparklers, party poppers, the little poppers you throw on the ground are not fireworks due to the powder content and are considered "novelty items" and not fireworks.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering about the authority to ban the fireworks during the burn ban myself. When I was a Fire Marshal, we wouldn't allow aerial displays when the winds were blowing over 15 MPH. But, that was for permitted displays and the shells were anywhere from 2" to 8" in diameter and requiring at least 800' of clear space to shoot them in. Okc ordinances banned the possession and use of fireworks for personal use citywide years ago. The code states that things like sparklers, party poppers, the little poppers you throw on the ground are not fireworks due to the powder content and are considered "novelty items" and not fireworks.

They cannot ban selling of fireworks. link

As far as banning the use of, I dont think they really can ban the use under state statute as it isnt listed as an unlawful event:

It is unlawful for any person to set fire to any forest, grass, range, crop or other wildlands, or to build a campfire or bonfire, or to burn trash or other material that may cause a forest, grass, range, crop or other wildlands fire in any county of this state in which the board of county commissioners of the county has passed a resolution declaring a period of extreme fire danger.

However, counties can issue resolutions that specifically spell out the conditions...

Here is an example.

Being a person who lives in Mustang, AND lives in a house that is right against a very large, very dry field... I support the resolution. Not saying I dont like the idea of no fireworks on Independence Day, but I do value my house and possessions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom