Cale Gundy resigns..... because he read a word off a player's iPad??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OU head football coach Brent Venables issued a second statement on the resignation of assistant football coach and former Sooner quarterback Cale Gundy.

Vanables issued a statement Monday

“As painful as it has been dealing with Coach Gundy resigning from the program, it doesn’t touch the experience of pain felt by a room full of young men I am charged to protect, lead and love. There are a few things I would like to address. Coach Gundy resigned from the program because he knows what he did was wrong. He chose to read aloud to his players, not once but multiple times, a racially charged word that is objectionable to everyone, and does not reflect the attitude and values of our university or our football program. This is not acceptable. Period. Coach Gundy did the right thing in resigning. He knows our goals for excellence and that coaches have special responsibilities to set an example. He also knows that, while he will always be a part of the OU family, that his words affected many of us and did not represent the principles of our university. Again, his resignation was the right thing to do, and we will move forward positively.”
Shouldn't the player be removed from the program for writing such a racially charged word?

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OU head football coach Brent Venables issued a second statement on the resignation of assistant football coach and former Sooner quarterback Cale Gundy.

“As painful as it has been dealing with Coach Gundy resigning from the program, it doesn’t touch the experience of pain felt by a room full of young men I am charged to protect, lead and love. There are a few things I would like to address. Coach Gundy resigned from the program because he knows what he did was wrong. He chose to read aloud to his players, not once but multiple times, a racially charged word that is objectionable to everyone, and does not reflect the attitude and values of our university or our football program. This is not acceptable. Period. Coach Gundy did the right thing in resigning. He knows our goals for excellence and that coaches have special responsibilities to set an example. He also knows that, while he will always be a part of the OU family, that his words affected many of us and did not represent the principles of our university. Again, his resignation was the right thing to do, and we will move forward positively.”
seems like a cop out by the new coach

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

snipped…part of the OU family, that his words affected many of us and did not represent the principles of our university.”

There’s one very important thing that they appear to have gotten completely wrong. They weren’t Gundy’s words.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Double standard has been THE standard in this country for a long time.
again, i've mentioned this before.

it's not a double standard; it's not hypocrisy. both of those things imply that both parties are on equal footing, receive the same punishment, and that "justice" is always applied equally.

we *know* that's not true; and claiming "well this guy said it too so shouldn't he be in trouble?!?!" is pointless because we *know* things aren't equal in this regard.

look at bill maher saying nogger on his show multiple times.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Curious if you graduated from there?

I find the most hard-core OU fans are people who never set foot on campus other than on game days.

It's been said.....

Many times when you encounter a person wearing OSU logo items, they actually attended that school.

Most times when you encounter a person wearing OU logo items, they've been to the 'WalMark'........

I didn't create the saying..........just saying.......

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The more I hear the more I think there is more to the story than we've been told ...
I don't know anything more than what's being reported, but I do have some considerable experience with the institution in question.

I can tell you that OU was much more like a family before Boren took over, but it became much more like a business under his administration (despite his hypocritical, IMHO, protestations about the "OU Family"). Where there used to be reciprocal loyalty between the faculty/staff and the University, it has become very much a "cog in the machine, what have you done for the University lately" enterprise.

One of the reports I heard said that Gundy violated a "zero-tolerance" policy, so it really doesn't surprise me that he got resigned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom