Carpet removal aluminum deck pontoon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't most waterjet cutters have a grit emulsed in the water?
Ours did. But we were cutting stuff not normally cut on a waterjet.

We bought the machine from Lockheed Martin in Ft. Worth who designed and built it. It had a 5 axis robot control instead of an actual machine tool control with the waterjet cutting software that makes waterjet machines so expensive, That's probably why they sold it before ever even using it. But it still worked for our purpose which was nesting parts in aluminum plate. Saved many, many thousands in material cost. It had a huge table and a 60HP motor that drove the main water pump. The water stream moved at around Mach 3. It used either a ruby or sapphire orifice, I don't recall which, it's been too long. We used garnet for abrasive because it was cheaper and cutting aluminum plate up to 4.25" thick, you can imagine how much of it we went through. It was injected into the water stream after leaving the orifice. We could cut without it, but it was already a pretty slow affair on stuff that thick, without it was a lot slower. On a lark, the owner has us try a titanium forging that was 8.5" thick. It did it. Only went .100" per minute, but it did cut through it. Sparked a lot...

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@swampratt

Pontoon Parts in your Town. Happened across them, thought you may need!

IMG_9501.jpeg

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Son had worn carpet and was looking to redo.

We ripped carpet off. Pressure washed. Scraped. Wiped down with acetone and scraped, again. Let dry and coated with white, rubberized, bed liner.

Looked good, held up well, comfortable to walk on, easy to hose off dirt and fish slime.

Citrus stripper should do ok. Do not use chemical stripper on aluminum.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use my gas powered pressure washer a lot. End of last summer I used it to blow all the dirt away and below the ground on about a 100 small stumps from 3” to 8” out of a fence line I took down. Power wash them, they are clean and when dried they don’t **** the chain saw chain up at all.

It was a hell of a lot faster than a shovel and when dried they were clean to cut below the ground.
Great Idea! We have a 20” stump cut off at near ground level that is right where we park the RV. Had to cut it off to park in that slot.
I’d like to cut it below grade so some dirt on top that would hasten the rotting process.

It’s a minor pita, but something I’d like to do.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@swampratt So how’s it going?
I have a small section 4x4 foot.

Then it is work on carbs time to get this thing to idle.
Some buddies have decided it is time to work on their hot rods and talk me into building carbs and stabbing distributors in because they are too dumb to do it.
You work on this stuff all your life you have built dozens of cars but still do not understand a carb and distributor or anything else that really matters.

Drives me crazy.
One friend said he was bored because he had to stay home for 2 weeks and avoid all people after a surgery.
Read up on carbs fool.
Buy a book.

Last edited:

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my work cut out for myself.
This is a 1996 21 foot Tracker and the owner stopped on this project many many years ago and let it die in a field.
Rock Moss has grown on the gauges and steering wheel.

The old glue and much of the black rubber carpet backing are stuck to the deck very well.

I tried solvents, oils and acid to try to remove it easily.
Nothing bothers to remove it and it could be the rubber coating that can't be eaten through.

Critters made home in the center console which was the only piece of furniture made of wood .
The rest was hard plastic.

So far scraping and even sanding with grinders and sand paper 24-36 grit and concrete leveler stones does not do much as everything wants to load up with glue or rubber.

My buddy said maybe you need to take a match to it.

AAAAHHHHHAAAAA.

I did just that after pouring gasoline on a 1 square foot area.
After the fire went out I got my scraper and the glue softened enough to allow me to scrape it right up .

I will admit it does not work on all of the spots though.
I found an 8" stiff wire wheel on an angle grinder removes the hard stuff and rubber coated glue the best.
Then you just have a tiny film to get rid of.
I may not even rid it of that film. Just rough it up so the next glue and carpet can grab and stay.

I will rebuild the console from plastics.
I have thought of total deck prep so i could paint on some gator hyde or other non slip paint but I read a review that turned me back to carpet.

The poster stated when the non slip coating was wet it was slippery and his feet shot out from under him 2 times.

Well this boat will be wet 90% of the time and in that 90% time frame catfish slime and shat slime will most likely be on the floor just like all my boats before this one.

Would really suck being tossed to the ground from slipping on what I thought was a great idea.

Anyone have any experience with projects like this or preference for flooring for catfishing boat?

View attachment 468147View attachment 468148View attachment 468149
I use an Oscillating Tool with an appropriate blade for jobs like this…..

Latest posts

Top Bottom