Chevy vs. Ford vs. Mopar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, Oh man read something about "stirring the pot" the other night. This should be FUN! Apparently Ford is #1 in Texas, it seems like Chevy is #1 here, Not sure where Dodge ranks.
What do ya choose and why? Let's give a little more than "I have mine with 300,000 miles and never had to so much as put tires on it". Every manufacturer cranks out some damn good vehicles(and some bad ones). If they didn't, they wouldn't still be around.
So let's play this game. What's your vehicle of choice, and what would be the last thing you grabbed out of the burned wally world parking lot if the SHTF?

I'm the Chevy guy, damned reliable, cheapest to maintain and upgrade, and well..... THE CORVETTE!
Last choice would be a Jeep. From working in the field they are a hodge podge(SP?) of left over parts from various manufacturers. You can open the hood and find a ford water pump, a dodge, alternator, mitsubishi fuel injectors, etc.
That and all the guys that love to rave about their Jeep "rig" and how awesome Jeep is. All the while they have stripped it and put a Chevy small block with a TH-400 trans, ford 9" differential, and whatever aftermarket suspension......

OKAY GUYS FIRE AWAY!!!!:gun1::flamed:

Oh and no three word replies to get you post count up(I just couldn't resist):D

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chevy has always had the best motors that's for sure! I do like them all though, but If I had to pick one brand it would have to be Chevy. Ford has the 4x4 trucks right now with the Raptor and I've always liked how their Super Dutys were so different looking from the F150s. But Cummins over Duramax, Duramax over Powerstroke. Minimal advantages between each diesel motor but that's how they rank. Dodges Challenger looks the best out of the new big three muscle cars, even if it is the slowest. I also really like the Viper just a tad more than the Vette, at the same time I'd rather own a Vette. Dodge is a bit behind in tech though they have always had style.

Trying not to be biased here, I really do love all the brands but Chevy makes the best stuff consistently. SBCs are the best motor ever made and ecotech>ecoboost.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although I like Chevys I currently own my first Dodge because of the Mega Cab. My truck has more room in the back seat than some cars have total! And there's still room behind the back seat for the storage box full of my fishin' poles!

Not sure I agree about Chevy's 350. Two of them I owned had the valve guide seal problem that was very common. Smoking straight off the showroom floor! And yes I tried to get them to repair it but they refused and offered a 100K powertrain warranty instead. I always thought that was BS! Why should I have to add oil between 3000 mile oil changes on a new truck?

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never owned a Ford, but I've heard good things about their trucks. I don't like their cars.

I've owned Chevy, Dodge (mopar), and 2 Jeeps (mopar). My Jeeps have stayed stock. They have caused me the least problems and gotten me out of trouble in bad weather/road conditions every time. I will always own one if I have a choice. The only thing I've changed from stock on every vehicle I've owned is the tires.

The chevy hated transmissions, and the dodge wasn't too bad except for dashboard issues.

But, like was said, every manufacture is going to put out a lot of good and bad vehicles. Some have the unfortunate luck of experiencing the bad ones more than the good ones.

As far as the original question goes.

What's your vehicle of choice, and what would be the last thing you grabbed out of the burned wally world parking lot if the SHTF?

I'm going to take what I find until I find something better. In a situation like that, we're probably not going to have the luxury of having a big choice.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy whatever. I don't buy a car without looking at a Haynes manual first. I've had Dodges, Chevys, Fords, etc. and all that I've bought have been good.

I try to buy stuff that's either incredibly common or commonly used as fleet cars, that way it's easier to work on and find mechanics for. I can replace starters, alternators, accessories, etc but I'm not very good at anything more complicated than that. I've never adjusted valve lash or anything.

I knew enough to stay away from transverse V8s

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've owned all three in one form or another. I was raised a Ford guy and I have no reason to change, but I'd buy another Dodge or Chevy before I would consider a Toy or Niss.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they are all good, and all crap at the same time.

We have a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado, extended cab. I hate it. If I drive it more than a few hours, my neck and shoulder are wrecked for a few days. Probably not the trucks fault. Probably too many motorcycle wrecks. If it was a V8 (it's a very weak V6), if it wasn't an automatic (I just don't like automatics), and if it wasn't a tractionless, open carrier rear end, I might like it. It's the most reliable vehicle we own. I never work on it. I didn't pick it out. I have had other Chevys over the years, and they were good trucks/cars.

I have only had a handful of Fords, including three Pintos. I love Pintos. Fords are okay with me.

My first car was a Dodge. The Bluesmobile. I loved it, and would gladly pay to have it back. I am fond of Dodge.

My favorite is not on your list. It is Jeep. No no, not Chrysler Jeeps, which I'm sure are great. I am talking about the ULTIMATE underdog, AMC. I work on it often, but seldom complain. It is rusty, rattley, and a very rough ride. I love it. So there is my answer. AMC. Just ask Mad Max.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad started working as a mechanic in 1917 and had his own shop until 1964, He always said that if it wasn't for Chevrolet we'd have starved to death. So yeah I'm definitely a Ford man. I do have to admit though that there is probably not 2 cents difference today

Latest posts

Top Bottom