Church shooting in Ft Worth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He's articulate, intelligent, unassuming, modest and well practiced with firearms. The main stream media and political left's worse nightmare.

OODA Loop. His best option if he couldn't pull off a one second draw is "get off the X". He couldn't do that because of where he and the flock were in relation to the shooter, so going linebacker and flattening the perp was the next best option. He may have still been shot, but the odds are much higher that the 2nd victim would've survived. To be blunt, he got served a **** sandwich and ate it whole. :(

Trying to learn from the situation since I sit in church many Sundays thinking about the possibility of this happening. Would the first guy who was standing and attempting to draw have stood a better chance had he attempted to draw while seated? Idk. I’ve thought about it since long before this happened and have decided that if possible I will have my weapon ready when I stand up and draw attention. I hope I don’t sound rude second guessing what the guy did and maybe it wouldn’t have mattered but I believe there may always be something to learn.

There's always something to learn. That was a tough row to hoe and the best lessons here are OODA Loop and practice the draw from unconventional positions. Perhaps modifying the choice of gear if they don't work well under those conditions.

What do you guys think of John Correia? I watched his YT analysis video and it seems fairly spot-on to me. I wartched a few of his other videos maybe a year or so ago, too. He seems overall to be pretty level-headed, but I also know there are a lot of 'operators' out there who spout what sounds good but isn't tactically sound. I'm not going to pretend I'm anything more than a casual shooting enthusiast who needs to work and practice more, so I'm just curious about some of ya'll's opinions.

In our church security meetings, our focus has been getting people out, not about reaching out and stopping the threat - which I think is probably pretty appropriate, given the training level (or lack thereof) of most of us, I know a lot of the guys who were muzzling the congregation and such in that video are well-meaning but likely poorly-trained or poorly-practiced casual guys as well. I don't want to be a passive participant if something like this happens, I want to make a difference if possible, but most importantly be able to assess the situation for what is possible given the circumstances and my own personal capabilities as they fit into that scenario.

God forbid, I hope I never have to see it or be a part of it.

But my wife and my son sit next to me in church, and lots of good people sit around me in church. I'd hate to think that pure and plain evil killed one of them when I might have been able to do something to prevent it.

An astute student of the game with loved ones to protect would choose a position far from entrances and with people in-between, yet affords easy access to emergency egress. Those things along with 'gaming out the potential scenario', remaining alert and reacting immediately on instinct will buy you the two most critical things, time and distance. Your first duty is to your wife and child, either evacuating them or shielding them and neutralizing the threat. Once you have them safe, you can choose whether to evac others or engage the hostile, whichever saves the most lives.

It looked like a 15-20 yard shot to me, under a high pressure situation for a civilian. Like me. How was that for a do or die effort?

Superb. Literally like the Hand of God.

Did you ever see a pistol shooter who did better at speed, when pushed?

Not seen personally, but only legendary NYPD Stakeout Squad Detective Jim Cirillo comes to mind.

I hate to tell you this but performance in these shooting matches has nothing to do with how a shooter will respond in a real life shooting. Nothing about them are even the same. I know, I've been in both.

True, but absent expensive and extensive force on force training, dynamic shooting competitions on the clock are a pretty decent way to develop solid skill foundations, which may allow your cognitive skills to focus on threat and tactics while the gun handling are on semi-autonomous operation. It also helps you sort your gear if you compete with what (and how) you carry.

Stress inoculation will help prepare someone for intense moments and managing stress, but no one really knows how well or poorly they will do until they're in the clutch. All you can do is train, mentally prepare and hope God is on your side if the moment comes.

Bunk. These matches do absolutely nothing to mimick the fight or flight adrenaline rush that is felt in a real life shooting situation. These matches simply induce shooter frustration. You have to put as much effort into your psychological preparations as you do into firearms training efforts.

In this Texas church shooting there's a reason Jack Wilson only fired one shot to take down the shooter. Maybe you'll figure it out, maybe not. Good luck.

Are you intentionally trying to discourage people, or trying to get them to seek out fights so they might be prepared for someday? Because if this is honestly the way you feel then you had the absolute wrong approach and mindset when you shot matches. Or did you even shoot matches? I can't tell if you're posting out of ignorance or arrogance. Either way, it's bad advice. :(

Unfortunately the laws usually do not stop bullet chasing lawyers from filing "wrongful death suits" on behalf of the surviving family which may or may not ever actually go to trial. Still creates a financial burden on the victim to hire legal defense to challenge the filing.

The Instructor that taught my CCW Class reminded us that :
"Behind every bullet is a Lawyer".

In Oklahoma, a shooting ruled justifiable homicide is a legal defense against civil suit. A 3rd year law student could get the suit dismissed with prejudice in Oklahoma. Just saying...

The Babylon Bee seems to have a handle on it. Fiction comes very close to the truth, ya think?

https://babylonbee.com/news/media-disappointed-to-learn-armed-citizen-stopped-mass-shooting

The media is VERY busy selling the notion that the only reason he did so well is because he's FBI. Never mind that he's a 70 year old citizen who hasn't been an FBI agent for at least 15 years, and the reason his perishable skills are so hones is because he's a citizen firearms instructor. :rolleyes2

Last edited:

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glocktogo : On Oklahoma, a shooting ruled justifiable homicide is a legal defense against civil suit. A 3rd year law student could get the suit dismissed with prejudice in Oklahoma. Just saying...

You are correct but it still does not change the fact that a lawyer will have to be hired to challenge the suit before a judge because there is NO LAW to stop the so called "victim" or his family from filing a lawsuit against any citizen that defends them self with a firearm or secondary Items such as Pepper Spray or Stun Gun.
Anyone who really wants to know about civil liabilities in Oklahoma when using a firearm should watch this video.

http://robleslawfirmokc.com/

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glocktogo : On Oklahoma, a shooting ruled justifiable homicide is a legal defense against civil suit. A 3rd year law student could get the suit dismissed with prejudice in Oklahoma. Just saying...

You are correct but it still does not change the fact that a lawyer will have to be hired to challenge the suit before a judge because there is NO LAW to stop the so called "victim" or his family from filing a lawsuit against any citizen that defends them self with a firearm or secondary Items such as Pepper Spray or Stun Gun.
Anyone who really wants to know about civil liabilities in Oklahoma when using a firearm should watch this video.

I'm saying that it should never be a consideration before you shoot. After you shoot you should always refrain from making inflammatory statements and avoid social media posts which can be taken out of context.

In this one particular situation, you have someone who is highly trained in law and use of force. There is incontrovertible evidence that he needed to shoot that dangerous criminal right then. Everything he's posted and said in interviews so far, carries the mark of a professional pressed to become a hero when that was the last thing he wanted to do. He literally did everything right, 100%. Right down to ensuring his one taken shot didn't endanger anyone else.

There isn't a civil court in the land that would take that suit. If there was, there would be an outraged lawyer willing to shut it down pro-bono. Ergo, this is a moot point and not worthy of further concern. JMO, YMMV

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
received_2890603857637902.jpeg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys I know it was to soon for that meme, but the liberals started even before the smoke cleared. They blamed it on Trump, gun owners and white men in that order. It is past time to start fighting fire with fire. Unless we want to see what is happening in VA all over the country.

Political types go which ever way the wind is blowing, and liberals think anti-gun people are the majority. Stand up, be heard, pi$$ in their Post Toasties. Do not go quietly into the night.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
but no one really knows how well or poorly they will do until they're in the clutch.
This. Some folks just naturally handle stress better than others.

The best hope (for any of us IMO), is to be thoroughly familiar and accurate with your EDC, so there's no wasted thought or effort getting it into action in a crisis.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This. Some folks just naturally handle stress better than others.

The best hope (for any of us IMO), is to be thoroughly familiar and accurate with your EDC, so there's no wasted thought or effort getting it into action in a crisis.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:
That's why I tell people to pick one EDC. Do not have a rotation of different positioned holsters, different functioning guns, different ammo. You need consistency, I know this because of experience. Pick out one system you can and will, commit to training with and commit to carry every day. Know the function of your gun. Know your sight picture. Know the direction your magazine reload is facing. Do not train to catch your ejected magazine let it drop. Always have your reload ready coming up to the gun when ejecting the empty. Know where you put your hand on the magazine and practice practice practice until it is muscle memory. This will greatly reduce the FU factor when the pucker factor hits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom