COD Black ops review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least you admit it :)

ON TOPIC: I'm glad they got rid of quick scoping and from what I've been reading not many people are using the noobtubes anymore because they are weak and cost money to get. Everyone says the FAMAS is great, but I liked it when it was 3 round burst. We'll see how it turns out being full auto.

The M203 I have not tried, but I know the RPG is a lot harder to score a kill with so I assume the M203 is as well. Also the killstreak rewards do not count toward your killstreak. So getting the napalm strike and scoring 2 kills won't put into your next killstreak reward, you still have to go shoot some more people. It does seem to be more balanced.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M203 I have not tried, but I know the RPG is a lot harder to score a kill with so I assume the M203 is as well. Also the killstreak rewards do not count toward your killstreak. So getting the napalm strike and scoring 2 kills won't put into your next killstreak reward, you still have to go shoot some more people. It does seem to be more balanced.

Ooo I didn't know that. That's kinda a good thing though. Make them work for it and not just have it all given to them.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I played Black Ops single and multiplayer at a friends house last night. I agree the graphics do have a cartoony look, but they are defintely not worse that MW2. I was playing on an old 32" tube tv and it still looked great if that tells you anything. Gameplay on both MP and singleplayer is pretty much same as MW, WAW, and MW2, but you aren't playing Sonic the Hedgehog, your playing Call of Duty, so shouldn't it be similar?

trammell_1989

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far I like what i have played. Zombies is awesome and I am working through campaign when I have extra time between family and work. I am new to the whole CoD, what is quick scooping?

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far I like what i have played. Zombies is awesome and I am working through campaign when I have extra time between family and work. I am new to the whole CoD, what is quick scooping?

Quick scoping is when people suck a life and the only way they are any good at the game is when they "cheat" by pretty much using a sniper rifle for close combat. They see the target zoom in very quickly and let the aim assist/auto aim put their scope on the target, pull trigger, zoom out. This allows them to pretty much get 1 hit kills every time and rarely miss while not even sniping like they should be.

That's why lots of people are pissed off that they "fixed" it on black ops because now they suck at the game.

Same goes for the noobtubers (people who run around using grenade launchers to kill people). They nerfed the grenades and now those people suck too.

I think it's pretty balanced now :)

Barrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Played through the entire campaign yesterday. Good story line. Plenty of access to all sorts of weapons and styles, even some seat time on a technical or two, a BMW looking motorcycle, and a Hind. Zombies with the vocie of JFK was different.

Well, is it possible that real Black Ops guys would have things that conventional forces didn't know exist back then?

I can think of a couple..... SR-71 Blackbird, F-117...not hand held weapons or black ops per say, but weapons all the same, that we didn't know existed for many yrs.

That was supposed to be the 'intent' of the developers. NPCs will say "hey, aren't you SOG." Like the incendiary rounds in the SPAS 12.

There is some hokey-ness to the rifle mounted flame thrower.

I thought the China Lake was an M-79 grenade launcher.

The M-14 respect was there, not so much for the 1911 though.

:rant: Couple of questions:

Does SPAS in SPAS-12 not stand for Special Purpose Automatic Shotgun not semi-automatic shotgun

Doesn't ACOG stand for something like Advanced Combat Optic Gunsite made by Trijicon?

Makarov's have more knock down power than 1911? Even with NATO rounds?

Wasn't the M-16A1, as introduced, fully automatic? Not three round burst? (the shot to kill ratio of Veit Nam wasn't figure yet in 1968 right!?!)

Multi-player is cool once you get into a game after a 20 minute lobby(on XBOX Live until aroun 2AM last night :preocc:.)

The spawning sucks.

Empty a 1911 into a guy while in last stand to have him knife you sucks (c'mon seven rounds!).

What not CAR-16 or Commando-16 in multi-player?

Made it to level 12, I think, last night.

Being able to buy attachments is cool.

MW2 seems/feels smoother or faster.

:gun1:REALLY, 20 MINUTES IN A LOBBY, you KNEW over THREE million people would be playing!!!:soapbox:

PS: I really don't like the ticker, well one line:

"Black Ops with free multiplayer"

:explode:

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barrett:

You are correct about everything you said, though I never expected the game to be 100% realistic. I actually don't give 2 poops if they made a chain gun have 3 round burst as long as the game is enjoyable :)

Some people are saying the "Black Ops with free multiplayer" hints that it will be pay-to-play someday. The developers deny this to be true, but if it ever does happen I'm done with COD.
No way in hell I'm paying for the game + xbox live + fee to play online + my internet. There's plenty of other good FPS out there if they do this.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barrett:

You are correct about everything you said, though I never expected the game to be 100% realistic. I actually don't give 2 poops if they made a chain gun have 3 round burst as long as the game is enjoyable :)

Some people are saying the "Black Ops with free multiplayer" hints that it will be pay-to-play someday. The developers deny this to be true, but if it ever does happen I'm done with COD.
No way in hell I'm paying for the game + xbox live + fee to play online + my internet. There's plenty of other good FPS out there if they do this.

Actually, activision wants pay to play... Google the president's name and subscription gaming. I agree though. Im not payin more than 60 much less $$ per month to play a gd game

halfrack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow what a letdown. Where to start???

No need to even put sniper rifles on this game. For one..they are horrible, secondly the maps are so cluttered with crap that you will never find anywhere to snipe effectively.

Cant go prone after sprinting, just do the gay dive thing and still get shot while im "recovering" from the dive. That sucks.

Have not found 1 single gun that I can "fall in love" with. Most are either A: extremely underpowered, or B: extremely inaccurate at range. The stoner is an ok LMG, but when it takes nearly a whole clip to kill anybody, you spend most of your time getting shot while you are reloading.

Knifing distance is once again ridiculous. What was wrong with MW1 or WAW's knifing distance when you actually needed to be right next to them to stab them?

The heartbeat sensor has been replaced with the camera. Cant play a match of S&D without 4 people on the other team having 2 cameras on both sides of the bombs at both A and B. At least in mw2 you could use ninja to beat the heartbeat sensor.

Where is the leader board? There was nothing wrong with the way it was set up in the other games, why change it now?

Bullets still shoot around corners and kill you.

Wager matches are fun, BUT if you are not host or have a 4 bar ping your chances of actually sticking someone with a bolt are slim and none. Frustrating

Lag in nearly every, if not every singe match.

MW2 invite system was light years better than this cobbled up mess of an invite system.

I dont really like any of the killstreaks except the napalm strike. Valkyrie rockets are a waste of a 7 killstreak Imo. The old 3/5/7 killstreaks were the best.

The spawn system is really bad, especially in team deathmatch and free for all.

I think im a level 28 right now and im losing interest very rapidly. I realize that all 3 previous games had more than their fair share of flaws, but I still learned to love them and racked up many many days of playing time on all of them. I just don't really feel like im ever going to be satisfied with this game, and I NEVER felt that way with the other 3 games.

Just my take on it.

Barrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, activision wants pay to play... Google the president's name and subscription gaming. I agree though. Im not payin more than 60 much less $$ per month to play a gd game

I am just saying I noticed it...like they are sort of sneaking it up on you...because like you mentioned, its no where near free...Live $60 a year(up $10 a year form the previous say 8 years), high speed internet or cable enter your amount at least $30 a month, the game is $60 plus tax.

I have read about the compaines wanting to make more money, who doesn't but, HELLO!!! one of the largest opening sales day records, AGAIN...

Don't get me started on the 30 minute wait to get into a game if you have a party or if you want to play anything besides ground war.

I didn't expect the game to be accurate in regards to the weapons. I am all about fun to play, look good, easy to access, and after the Rainbox Six Vegas games, I want online co-op and wave style games like the zombies only I want non-zombies...mission based.

Hit me up if you guys are on XBOX Live I am Bar50

Latest posts

Top Bottom