Contemplating some firearms sales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you saying that if an OSA members does not have an Oklahoma Handgun license you would not sell a gun to them--for I doubt that every member of OSA has a license. I know that I don't, yet I have no problem with buying firearms from an FFL--as I said before, even selling firearms is a part of my job description--so why should I be held to a higher standard by a private party?

My problem is ingraining a mindset in sellers that only Oklahoma handgun license holders are fit to buy a firearm from a private party. But, I guess it's OK that people adopt the mindset that you need to have a state-issued license to purchase and possess firearms. It'll make it soooo much easier when the powers that be actually codify that mindset.

Read my comment again. I didn't say I wouldn't sell to one without a CHL, but the presence of the CHL would be an assurance.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are no assurances for anyone selling a firearm. How many times do we have to hear about rapid mass murders committed by people that purchased their firearms from FFLs?

A concealed carry permit is about as worthless as the plastic it’s printed on if you think about. Having one doesn’t make you any more special than anyone else. Seems like it might be more practical to ask if they know the Four Rules of Gun safety or if they lock up there firearms to prevent unauthorized access.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are no assurances for anyone selling a firearm. How many times do we have to hear about rapid mass murders committed by people that purchased their firearms from FFLs?

A concealed carry permit is about as worthless as the plastic it’s printed on if you think about. Having one doesn’t make you any more special than anyone else. Seems like it might be more practical to ask if they know the Four Rules of Gun safety or if they lock up there firearms to prevent unauthorized access.

It isn't "special," if you will. But, I happen to know the process involved with one getting a background check in order to get a CHL. I'm pretty sure that anyone with a felony record isn't going to get one. Thus, my assurance that a CHL presented at a FTF would be an indication that the purchaser wouldn't be a felon.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKnewshawk, You are the only one that seems to think there was any implication that a handgun permit was needed to buy a firearm.
Cowcatcher, I know what is needed to purchase a handgun. I have sold firearms for a major retailer for the past two years. During that time I have had customers ask me if they need to show me their Oklahoma Handgun License. I tell them they do not, as it is not accepted by the FBI in lieu of a 4473.

If I wanted to sell a firearm and be sure the potential buyer is able to legally own one, them showing me a valid handgun permit would prove so. That is what was being mentioned in this thread. The OP was wanting input on how to sell his firearms and cover his ass at the same time.
That begs the question, what would you do if a potential buyer does not have a valid Oklahoma Handgun License? Would you use the lack of said license to cancel the sale?

While showing an Oklahoma Handgun License would prove that the bearer is not a felon, which seems to be the concern most often stated here, the lack of possession of said license does not imply that the potential buyer is a felon. The last reported number of Oklahoma Handgun License holders I can find is from 2015 and that number was just over 232,000 in a state that, as of last year, had a population of 3.9 million. It is obvious to even the most casual observer that there are a large number of people otherwise qualified to own and possess a firearm that are not Oklahoma Handgun License holders.

What I'm concerned about is the fostering of a mindset in people that one needs to have a Oklahoma Handgun License to purchase or possess a firearm. It is said that perception is reality--if enough people believe that you need a state-issued license to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights then it becomes a de facto law and opens they way for the state to make the requirement official.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read my comment again. I didn't say I wouldn't sell to one without a CHL, but the presence of the CHL would be an assurance.
I did re-read your comment, Terry. You said:
...if someone showed me a CHL, then I would be comfortable in selling because I would know they weren't a felon.
I can't imagine that you'd do something uncomfortable to you, so the way I read your statement quoted above is that you would only sell to someone you knew wasn't a felon. From your previous posts, it appears to me that you have set up the possession of an Oklahoma Handgun License as the sole arbiter of whether a person can be trusted to not be a felon. Therefore, what I have to deduce is that you would only sell to the holder of the aforementioned license.

OK, I get it. I won't bother you any more about it--but I guess I'll also not be buying any firearms from you anytime in the near future.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

I can't imagine that you'd do something uncomfortable to you, so the way I read your statement quoted above is that you would only sell to someone you knew wasn't a felon. From your previous posts, it appears to me that you have set up the possession of an Oklahoma Handgun License as the sole arbiter of whether a person can be trusted to not be a felon. Therefore, what I have to deduce is that you would only sell to the holder of the aforementioned license.

That is 100% completely and totally NOT what he said, NOR has he or anyone else in this thread even vaguely intimated they felt an Oklahoma Handgun License was or should be required for a sale/purchase. Not once.

Dude, as others have pointed out... you are the ONLY one who is reading it that way. In fact, it is so obvious, and so many times have people explicitly stated otherwise, I am beginning to wonder if you are deliberately doing this, just to try to stir the pot. I cannot fathom why, but it is so far out in left field, I can't come up with any explanation why an otherwise seemingly-intelligent person would continue this.

Anyways, there's no more point. I'm outta here.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dear OKnewshawk,
You don't get it. I regret to inform you that we can no longer be friends. Your lack of comprehension coupled with your desire to make your wisdom known is not healthy for me. I do hope you understand.
Thx and have a nice day, Cow

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

OK, I get it. I won't bother you any more about it--but I guess I'll also not be buying any firearms from you anytime in the near future.

No, you won't, because I'm not even slightly inclined to sell any of my firearms.

As for someone that didn't have a CHL, it would simply mean that they would answer some questions from me to make me comfortable with selling to them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom