Contemplating some firearms sales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cowcatcher and adamsredlines are correct, I know one does not NEED the CHL, but IF the seller requires proof of some kind that I am allowed to possess a firearm the license serves to show that.
I understand that is what you are saying but the unstated implication is that you have to have an Oklahoma Handgun license to possess a handgun--much less any firearm. Should I, not only qualified to possess firearms but to sell them for a major retailer (which means that I have passed a more stringent background check than the one for simple ownership,) be denied a ftf sale of a firearm solely on the lack of possession of an Oklahoma Handgun license? That's the way I interpret what CorpsVet is saying.

Sure, showing an Oklahoma Handgun license is a plus but making it a requirement for a ftf firearms sale seems to me to be an arbitrary move that would deny otherwise qualified people from purchasing firearms. It also goes a long way towards conditioning people to believe that they must have a state-issued license to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me thinks you're reading too far into it. Its the quickest and easiest way to prove you're allowed to have a gun.
How else do you suggest proving such a thing for a FTF private transaction to appease an overly paranoid seller?

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me thinks you're reading too far into it. Its the quickest and easiest way to prove you're allowed to have a gun.
How else do you suggest proving such a thing for a FTF private transaction to appease an overly paranoid seller?
If they are overly paranoid, would any amount of proof suffice?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unstated implications? It looked like to me CorpsVet said exactly why he would show his handgun permit. To prove he's allowed to own a firearm.

All too often arguments start over some crap that wasn't said.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that if one remembers that to have a CHL one has to NOT be a felon. In a situation of a face to face sale, if someone showed me a CHL, then I would be comfortable in selling because I would know they weren't a felon.

Otherwise, how else would the common person know someone wasn't a felon without having to do some major background checking in various states.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that if one remembers that to have a CHL one has to NOT be a felon. In a situation of a face to face sale, if someone showed me a CHL, then I would be comfortable in selling because I would know they weren't a felon.

Otherwise, how else would the common person know someone wasn't a felon without having to do some major background checking in various states.
Are you saying that if an OSA members does not have an Oklahoma Handgun license you would not sell a gun to them--for I doubt that every member of OSA has a license. I know that I don't, yet I have no problem with buying firearms from an FFL--as I said before, even selling firearms is a part of my job description--so why should I be held to a higher standard by a private party?

My problem is ingraining a mindset in sellers that only Oklahoma handgun license holders are fit to buy a firearm from a private party. But, I guess it's OK that people adopt the mindset that you need to have a state-issued license to purchase and possess firearms. It'll make it soooo much easier when the powers that be actually codify that mindset.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are we going to start asking folks if they are making a straw purchase, too? Perhaps we should just turn in our unused or no longer needed firearms in for destruction, just to be sure they don’t ever end up in the wrong hands.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKnewshawk, You are the only one that seems to think there was any implication that a handgun permit was needed to buy a firearm.

If I wanted to sell a firearm and be sure the potential buyer is able to legally own one, them showing me a valid handgun permit would prove so. That is what was being mentioned in this thread. The OP was wanting input on how to sell his firearms and cover his ass at the same time.

Last edited:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind.
As a seller, one doesn't need PROOF that the buyer is or isn't a felon, or even whether or not the buyer can legally own a firearm.

The law only requires that the seller have no reason to believe the buyer cannot legally own said firearm.

So, if one wants to stick with the letter of the law, no ID, or even a name, is required.

Latest posts

Top Bottom