Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Pork butts went on about 5:30pm today. The pulled pork sandwiches should taste pretty good around lunch time tomorrow…

Hope the internal temp doesn’t stall on me like last time.

IMG_0259.jpeg

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Almost done…

Used mustard as a binder. Seasoned with AP seasoning and Joes Kansas City “Big Meat Rub”. Let the butts sit in the fridge for around 7-8 hours, really let the rub get in the meat. Put the butts on smoker at 185° and after 8hours I turned temp up to 225°. They smoked at 225° for 6-1/2 hours until they reached an internal temp of 190°. I just pulled them off, wrapped in foil, and stuck them in my cooler with towels keeping the heat in. I’ll probably let them rest for an hour in the cooler and then pull them apart.

Used a Traeger and Traeger brand Apple pellets.

Edit: Recipe

IMG_0261.jpeg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cooked a slab of ribs on the pellet grill. Started out with the pre-seasoned ribs from Costco.
Added some sweet heat mesquite spice rub and garlic powder. Wrapped in cellophane and let sit overnight in the fridge.
5 hour cook at 225 degrees, basting with Head country hickory smoke bbq sauce at the 4 hour mark to caramelize.
Not fall off the bone tender, it required very little effort to get it off leaving a clean bone. Perfect.

70778396794__0C550656-6879-4671-8C24-48564889649D.jpeg

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent a couple hours cleaning and re-seasoning the Blackstone in prep for round 2 - since i appear to be the only person that didnt have good luck with the griddle.

Cooked a few burgers and eggs as a test. I had basically same experience as when I first tried it. I set the burners to about a 1/3 off the lowest setting. Eggs were burned on one side after about 10 seconds and the burger patty was crunchy after about 30 seconds on one side.

So, I'll drop it down to the lowest setting next time and try again. Is this common for these? Should I be lighting the center burners and cooking on the edge of the griddle?

I can't imagine a non-industrial use for the high setting on this thing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent a couple hours cleaning and re-seasoning the Blackstone in prep for round 2 - since i appear to be the only person that didnt have good luck with the griddle.

Cooked a few burgers and eggs as a test. I had basically same experience as when I first tried it. I set the burners to about a 1/3 off the lowest setting. Eggs were burned on one side after about 10 seconds and the burger patty was crunchy after about 30 seconds on one side.

So, I'll drop it down to the lowest setting next time and try again. Is this common for these? Should I be lighting the center burners and cooking on the edge of the griddle?

I can't imagine a non-industrial use for the high setting on this thing.
Man, I cook everything on the blackstone griddle when in the RV. Have the high dome lid that actually lets me use it for indirect heat so I can do a low and slow cook on some ribs with a smoke tube.
I can't imagine the results you are seeing.
I'm thinking there is a possibility that your propane regulator may be defective and you're getting too much flame.
Is it the factory supplied, or have you converted to another propane system perhaps on an RV?
A couple questions that might help your issue.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I cook everything on the blackstone griddle when in the RV. Have the high dome lid that actually lets me use it for indirect heat so I can do a low and slow cook on some ribs with a smoke tube.
I can't imagine the results you are seeing.
I'm thinking there is a possibility that your propane regulator may be defective and you're getting too much flame.
Is it the factory supplied, or have you converted to another propane system perhaps on an RV?
A couple questions that might help your issue.
I haven't changed anything, just like it came from the box.

Could still be bad I guess. I'll get the infrared thermometer out tomorrow and see what it's reading high to low.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't changed anything, just like it came from the box.

Could still be bad I guess. I'll get the infrared thermometer out tomorrow and see what it's reading high to low.
Great thought. The thermometer will tell everything.
When I look underneath the cooking surface on our 22", the flames on high are pretty low. They get really low on the low heat setting so I had to buy some wind screens off amazon to help maintain even temps on the griddle surface.
That's another issue. Are you trying to cook in winds without the wind screens?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great thought. The thermometer will tell everything.
When I look underneath the cooking surface on our 22", the flames on high are pretty low. They get really low on the low heat setting so I had to buy some wind screens off amazon to help maintain even temps on the griddle surface.
That's another issue. Are you trying to cook in winds without the wind screens?
No it's pretty shielded from wind. I'll report back after a little more testing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom