Cool down your condenser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I knew a guy who did something like that, except he used a length of soaker hose above the coils. He then used an electric solenoid valve wired to the compressor so that the water only ran when the compressor kicked on.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over time the chlorine and other minerals in the tap water will ruin it. That is why you don't see a commercial system made. Still. During these abnormally hot times it something to consider if I needed to squeeze a little more comfort out of my system.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took the covers off of mine today and cleaned all the dirt, dust and leaves out of the condensor coils. I was really surprised by how much crap was in there even though I did this just about 3 months ago. It seems to be running much better now.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, mine's almost 20 years old, and probably just a hair undersized. We have an old house, too, so though we've done a lot in terms of trying to seal up leaky holes and such, we really need new double-pane windows and probably to reinsulate the attic.

I WISH I could keep it cooler, but hey... I work with what I got at the moment. ;) Hoping to do a new unit next year, maybe. Or even 2 separate units. Just don't have $5-7k in disposable right now. :(

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HSIG, my mother-n-law owns a heat and air company and we all have misters by our ac units. She said make sure that the mister is close but not to were it is misting the condensor. You want it to cool the ambient air around the AC unit. She said to make sure to run it during the day, but make sure to turn it off at night.

Latest posts

Top Bottom