Cost estimating an Elk hunt in CO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been hunting north of Dolores, Co a couple of times, and I spend around $1500 including new gear, tags, combined diesel and food. I go with older people, so they are a little less serious about hunting, and out of eight, we usually only get 2. One of our guys shoots long range and sees a few elk and bear, and picks which one he wants towards the end of the trip. My cousins go to Chama and tag 3 out 6 usually, but it is a two hour ATV/hike to a good spot. Unless you are in a foreign country and unfamiliar with the area/tactics, a guided hunt takes away from the sport of hunting.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to offend anyone, but paying $4000 to go to a private ranch and shoot confined elk wouldn't feel much like a hunt to me. I'm sure the guide knows right where to take you to get your elk.

I read a story not long ago about a guy that paid to do so. He said they took him the first day to a heard of elk and told him to take his pick. He said he felt a little pressured to get it over and take the shot and afterwards didn't feel like he'd really been hunting at all. I will gladly pass on that experience even if I come home empty handed. After all, that's part of hunting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve killed elk within the first 5 minutes of the hunt, and on the last day.
We don’t do guided hunts. If one of our party kills early that person by agreement becomes camp biatch. Helping recovery for others, etc.
we don’t hunt Colorado, so I can’t offer much help with that state.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve killed elk within the first 5 minutes of the hunt, and on the last day.
We don’t do guided hunts. If one of our party kills early that person by agreement becomes camp biatch. Helping recovery for others, etc.
we don’t hunt Colorado, so I can’t offer much help with that state.
Colorado just seems like to obvious option if you live in OK. Close to home with OTC tags and all.......

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Colorado just seems like to obvious option if you live in OK. Close to home with OTC tags and all.......

That's what makes it obvious no matter what state you live in.......the OTC, and large elk population and that's why it's become somewhat crowded imo. I've been three times with ML but only had a cow tag each time. Had shots at bulls every hunt, and never a shot at a cow lol.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what makes it obvious no matter what state you live in.......the OTC, and large elk population and that's why it's become somewhat crowded imo. I've been three times with ML but only had a cow tag each time. Had shots at bulls every hunt, and never a shot at a cow lol.
So you've seens bulls each time but no cows? My interest is more meat oriented so I would most likely be going for a cow and not necessarily a bull.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got drawn for a cow in the Wichita mtns winter before last. We made our last elk burgers about a week ago......it was a sad day for the family. Maybe I can find some folks to tag along with this winter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom