Cox Wifi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have lived out in the country for years, tried the $100/mo satalite internet a couple times, Wild Blue and Hughes net, limited data, off during storms. Rest of the time used the wireless internet with Sprint and Verizon who have towers 3-5 miles away for years at about $60 / month and 30G limits before throttling back to about dialup speeds. I also had Direct TV for television for over 25 years with constant price increases for all.

A little over a year ago my REC Lake Region Electric installed Fiber To The House. I took their truly unlimited 1G package at about $120/mo. Cancelled my $60/mo wireless cell phone internet, my $120/mo Direct TV, and my $60 home phone system. I bought 3 Ruko TV sticks at about $30 each (one time purchase), and now pay $55/mo for an extra Vidgo connection to get live Newsmax, OAN, and many sports channels. I now have way more channels than I can possibly watch with nothing missing from the past and way more internet than I can ever use for any future purpose. My service has been rock solid.

When I first had it hooked up I was only measuring about 500-600megb up and down on my computer with 3 TVs streaming. Shortly later found out my old computer did not have enough processing power to measure the full 1G speed I truly had. haha

After years of dreading anything with extensive data transfer on my computer, I now do not have to think about it. Good luck to all those still waiting.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use the MAX speed etc at Cox . I guess thats the GIG its pretty much that speed. With 4 gamers in the house and 100% streaming shows. videos etc. Its well worth the 150 dollars a month.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I called Cox today to downgrade my services since their modem wouldn’t work with my security system. They said if I tried to break our contract for 1 gig/tv for $185 they would charge me early termination fees for leaving them before 24 months. When I ordered the services the gentleman specifically told me I could terminate services at any time. I never signed a contract for 24 months. So the guy I was chatting with online quoted me 100mgs/with tv for $230. So I told him to get bent and went to the cox store and got 250 and 75 tv channels for $105. I hate cox, but there isn’t anything else around for me other than ATT who’s offering 25mgs for $59.99. I’m not sure that would even run the Wi-Fi on my phone.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I called cox to cancel land line and basic tv, just wanted to keep the preferred 250 mbs plan for internet. Then had to go to store to turn in old equipment and had them look up my account to verify what I had, and was told they moved me up to a higher Internet plan at a higher cost. I told them I didn't ask for it and did not authorize it, that employee on the phone did that on his own. I ended up purchasing my own cable modem at best buy, keeping my router and all my settings and now pay $49.99 a month for internet only and don't pay rent on any of their equipment.

Those cox phone customer service folks are sneaky.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I called cox to cancel land line and basic tv, just wanted to keep the preferred 250 mbs plan for internet. Then had to go to store to turn in old equipment and had them look up my account to verify what I had, and was told they moved me up to a higher Internet plan at a higher cost. I told them I didn't ask for it and did not authorize it, that employee on the phone did that on his own. I ended up purchasing my own cable modem at best buy, keeping my router and all my settings and now pay $49.99 a month for internet only and don't pay rent on any of their equipment.

Those cox phone customer service folks are sneaky.
Yep, I’m going to do the same thing. I just need to find the best compatible device to use.

cstan

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
COX sucks. I was a 30+ year customer for cable, internet, & phone. Total bill was approaching $300 per month. Got rid of the land line finally, had to do some things for the house alarm to work. Finally on the cable enough was enough. Every time I tried to figure out how to reduce my bill some I always ended up with some millennial trying to up sell me. So we cut the cable. Best thing we ever did. Went to internet tv. Kept the Cox internet but it sucked. Was paying $84 per month and half the time it wouldn't run a couple smart tvs at the same time. It would start buffering and I'd run a speed test and it would be down around 5-8 mb. It worked if I could just get what i was paying for. I called a couple of times, same thing. It would work fine if I upgraded to a plan for about $150 month. A$$holes. So bye bye cox everything. I tested the T-Mobile internet before I ditched the cox. It works great. Ran a speed test and couldn't believe it, over 500mb, holy crap. Other tests had it coming in as low as 300mb but I'm a happy camper now. Even the tvs in the garage and on the patio run great along with all the grandkids crap. No wifi extenders just the 1 router to plug in.
$50 per month - no hidden fees - just $50 per month.
I highly recommend if you can get it.

Chuck
I have T-mobile here in Mustang and it sucks. It will not play videos without jerking and goes completely out quite often.

Latest posts

Top Bottom