Cruel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't go cheap ie, under 50 bucks. I did and the thing never really worked for m dog. I borrowed a good one and it did the trick. Cruel no its good pr for you with the neighbors and the dog may just need a reminder once in a while.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a medical procedure that permanently removes dogs ability to make any noise louder than a wheeze. No animal deserves to live it's life with its vocal chords removed - or silenced.

aviator41, but it's just fine to cut their nut's or tie their tubes.

Hahaha, this was exactly what I was thinking.

When you say it's cruel, you are not talking about pain and/or torture, you're speaking from a philosophical standpoint, assuming the dog is bothered by the inability to bark or that it misses it's ability to communicate in that regard. It's not a physically torturous procedure or recovery. If you'd like your dog to retain his ability to bark, then don't do it. If you'd like your dog to retain his ability to procreate, then don't neuter him.

But don't attribute human characteristics to an animal like the loss of the ability to communicate, or exaggerate the pain or discomfort associated with the procedure. I would probably guess the discomfort associated with neutering a dog is much more prominent, but I don't see you going around railing against that or advocating veterinarians be neutered themselves....

spazzwarr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We got an electric collar for our Bassett Hound. He would bark for 4 hours straight when we would leave. I bought one at Wal-Mart for $30. It works great. It starts out with a "mild" shock at first and escalates in intensity if the dog continues to bark. He has learned to shut his bark down immediately when we put it on. There are a couple of issues that concern me. First, the mfr. says to not leave it on for long periods, and second, they caution you not put it on when its raining or it is going to rain later in the day. I guess the same applies for snow. This makes it fairly inconvenient if your going to be away for long periods. The collar was the most effective method I found in researching the issue. There are some that emit a very high shrill whistle, however, I saw a lot of comments that dogs would just push through the irritation and continue on.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are 2 effective types of anti-bark collars, ones that shock and ones that emit citronella. Studies have shown both to be equally effective.

"De-barking" isn't taught in vet school, and I was told by one of my clinicians that it was generally considered unethical (this was 20+ years ago). I've been around a few dogs who were de-barked, the noise they make is ugly, I would prefer they barked.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bet me to it ... That ought to be against the law. Along with declawing cats ... :grumble:

I have to disagree with you here. My neighbor has a cat that randomly attacks my neighbor's family and me whenever I am over. We were having dinner one night and I was talking to her husband at the table and all of a sudden I see him arch his back and cry out and I looked and the cat had, for no apparent reason, stuck all of her claws on one paw in the middle of his back, like she was stabbing him.

I'm not a fan of declawing, but for some cats, I think it's necessary for everyone to get along.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
aviator41, but it's just fine to cut their nut's or tie their tubes.

I wouldn't have anything done to my dog that I would have done on myself. we have three dogs. One is neutered - like him, I've been cut (though I still have my berries)

The other two are in tact. Being a responsible animal owner solves most common problems.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't have anything done to my dog that I would have done on myself. we have three dogs. One is neutered - like him, I've been cut (though I still have my berries) The other two are in tact. Being a responsible animal owner solves most common problems.

Your analogies are always full of fail. You can still bust a nut and he cannot. I'd say there's a difference. You should ask him personally since you guys are so close. Does he spoon with your old lady while you're out of town too? Geez. Lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom