Delayed by NICS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would take amending the law or an EO under the emergency declaration from POTUS to even temporarily change the required hold from 3 to 6 days. Someone was blowing smoke on that deal. :(

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would take amending the law or an EO under the emergency declaration from POTUS to even temporarily change the required hold from 3 to 6 days. Someone was blowing smoke on that deal. :(

Agreed. I think he's got more important things to be considering right now than something like that. Smoke signals...yep.

Last edited:

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's still 3 days more or less.. Has to be 3 full days, transfer happens on the 4th day, take out two days for the weekend and you end up with a 6 day wait. At least that was what I was told when I was delayed.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's still 3 days more or less.. Has to be 3 full days, transfer happens on the 4th day, take out two days for the weekend and you end up with a 6 day wait. At least that was what I was told when I was delayed.
Correct. Day of the check does not count, day of the transfer does not count, must be three full business days between the two, and weekends may or may not count, depending on the schedule of the store in question (some stores sell guns on Saturday, hence Saturday is a business day for those stores).

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Correct. Day of the check does not count, day of the transfer does not count, must be three full business days between the two, and weekends may or may not count, depending on the schedule of the store in question (some stores sell guns on Saturday, hence Saturday is a business day for those stores).

It has nothing to do with the business days of the stores

“. . .NTN ___ will be delayed while the NICS continues its research. If you do not receive a final response from us, the Brady Law does not prohibit the transfer of the firearm on day/date.”

The NICS examiner will provide the FFL with the date of the third business day after the firearm check was initiated. Business days do not include the day the check was initiated, Saturdays, Sundays, and any day state offices in the state of purchase are closed. If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must mark “No resolution was provided within three business days” on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473. It is recommended the FFL record the date provided in the delay response on which the firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final determination of proceed or denied is not received from the NICS.

Lots of info here.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/about-nics

Latest posts

Top Bottom