Dollar Shave Club... IF you havent heard..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wet shaving (brush & soap) are the only way to go! I got into straight razor shaving a couple years ago and try to convert everybody I can! Even if you're shaving with a Mach3 or a straight or a safety razor, wet shaving makes such a huge difference.

FWIW you can buy "knots" (the hair in a shaving brush, typically badger hair) and set them in your own handle if you're so inclined. I've made a couple dozen badger hair brushes set in elk antler and, until I get a lathe, have been so pleased with them I see no reason to ever buy a production one.

OP - never heard of the "dollar shave club" - thanks for sharing!

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I switched to a $30 Merkur safety razor and a brush/soap about 2 years ago.
$15 worth of Derby blades has lasted me 2 years and there are more left.

THIS! I have used a safety razor for five years now, and at an average cost of 10-15 cents per blade, it's easy to have a sharp blade on hand at all times. Throw in a badger brush and quality shave cream (from a stub, not a can) and I'm set.

If you're in OKC, check out a place called Carwins Shave Shop in the Classen Curve shopping center (NW OKC in the Belle Isle district, on Classen just north of the NW Expressway. You'll swear it's a home for a shaving cult, and you might just get hooked.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm using a safety razor w/ soap and brush. However, I can't get used to it. I can't get a very close shave and there is always blood involved.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm using a safety razor w/ soap and brush. However, I can't get used to it. I can't get a very close shave and there is always blood involved.

1) it takes time to learn the proper technique and 2) you often have to find the right razor/blade combo. So blades are great and some are horrible with my beard.

Not to mention the right water to soap technique (which changes with each soap and water hard/softness).

Oh and your prep matters a lot.

It takes time to unlearn bad shaving habits but it is very worth it. What soap, razor and blade are you using?

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm out.
Already bleed enough for money and the crime of living with a satanic cat.

I went all electric a few years ago and ain't looking back.

Great commercial, though!

Latest posts

Top Bottom