Dwight D. Eisenhower on the consequences of war

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was he a wizard?

farm5.static.flickr.com_4119_4876696414_d3f62d18be.jpg

"This has been the way of life forged by 8 years of fear and force. What can the world, or any nation in it, hope for if no turning is found on this dread road? The worst to be feared and the best to be expected can be simply stated. The worst is atomic war. The best would be this: a life of perpetual fear and tension; a burden of arms draining the wealth and the labor of all peoples; a wasting of strength that defies the American system or the Soviet system or any system to achieve true abundance and happiness for the peoples of this earth. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron." - April 16th, 1953

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity."

"I would rather try to persuade a man to go along, because once I have persuaded him, he will stick. If I scare him, he will stay just as long as he is scared, and then he is gone."

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. " - January 17th, 1961

"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war."

"We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security."

And the most applicable to today's political climate: "In most communities it is illegal to cry "fire" in a crowded assembly. Should it not be considered serious international misconduct to manufacture a general war scare in an effort to achieve local political aims?"

Last edited by a moderator:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, may we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion."

"If all that Americans want is security, they can go to prison. They’ll have enough to eat, a bed and a roof over their heads. But if an American wants to preserve his dignity and his equality as a human being, he must not bow his neck to any dictatorial government."

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We go from having a five-star Army General that said the things above about war - to this guy making strides in the Republican party:

i.imgur.com_ow8yQ.jpg

Way to go, GOP.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dwight D. would roll over in his grave if he saw the current state of the USA...

Yep. But the thing is, he saw the current state of the USA coming almost 60 years ago, and tried to warn us about it. I don't think he'd be a bit surprised.

Ike new as soon as WWII was over that we would never get a handle on the influence the military-industrial complex has on our political system and the American public. Probably the most profound and unheeded warning a president has ever given.

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ridge, you need to watch the documentary "No End in Sight" if you haven't already. Its all about Ikes final address and warning to the American public as president.

Latest posts

Top Bottom