Earning hotel points...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to travel ALOT for a former employer and stayed exclusively at Holiday Inns. Needless to say, I amassed a ton of reward points.

For the past few years I redeemed enough points for 1-2 nights per year for an occasional overnight trip. Last month I logged on to their website and found they had erased/deleted/stolen the remainder of my points. I had enough points to cover 14-15 nights. When I called them, they explained that it was due to my non-activity on their website. I went as high as I could over the phone and talked to 3 different supervisors. None of them would reinstate my points.

Recommend that those of you who also think you have a lot of IHG points to check your balances......I'll sleep in my truck before I ever stay in another IHG-owned hotel.
You have to be active at least once a year. If you go more than a year without any activity, you will lose your points. They do send a reminder at 10 months. I have only gone 10 months once.

Nifrost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to be active at least once a year. If you go more than a year without any activity, you will lose your points. They do send a reminder at 10 months. I have only gone 10 months once.

Yes, I was informed of their new policy when I called. This was not the case for years and years. I realize things change and know why they did this, but I would have expected some sort of grandfather clause.

Also, their patronizing attitude of repeatedly thanking me for being a loyal customer for 20+ years in one breath and then telling me I'm SOL in the other doesn't sit very well at all.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I was informed of their new policy when I called. This was not the case for years and years. I realize things change and know why they did this, but I would have expected some sort of grandfather clause.

Also, their patronizing attitude of repeatedly thanking me for being a loyal customer for 20+ years in one breath and then telling me I'm SOL in the other doesn't sit very well at all.
I understand. All of the hotel reward points have gone down hill over the years. Back in my oil-field days when I was always on the road, I never paid for a hotel. I would always have a week, or two saved up. Those days are gone.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because I tend to plant myself at home when I have time off, we donate miles back to AA. They have some cool programs where you can flip miles back to vets or parents who need to fly their kid somewhere.
I like this idea. I don't like to fly, but when I do fly it is Southwest. I get airline points/miles, but not enough to really use. I might check in to donating them. I would gladly donate my points to help a vet fly somewhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom