Facebook gun sales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those who have received calls from law enforcement asking about a particular gun: How did they know to call you? When you sold the gun, did you give your personal information to the buyer?
There is no registry in Oklahoma or at the Federal level (excluding NFA items). How did they have your information?

In my situation, I purchased the gun from a licensed dealer, did the 4473 thing, etc. According to the agent, who was very nice, when the firearm was found, a trace was started by going up the string from beginning of its life, ultimately to the store/dealer that sold it to me. I was the last link in the string of documentation. The only documentation I had was my record of items I had bought and sold over many years. I told the agent that the date, and location of the show, was the only information I had, and he was completely satisfied with that, thanked me, and that was the last I heard.

Most gun folks seem to be known for the part of the hobby that involves the buying, trading, and selling of their collections, and this agent told me that unless we have some other issues with law enforcement, they pretty much take our word on our activities.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ask the buyer if they are a resident of Oklahoma, and legally eligible to own a firearm. If they answer yes, I'll take their word for it. I have no legal obligation to verify their answer, or to keep records of the transaction. I don't even feel a moral obligation, they would have to be the one who lied.

If law enforcement asks, my answer would be they said they could legally purchase, and I had no reasonable suspicion that they couldn't. I try to get what I think the gun is worth, and I don't think most crooks would pay that to avoid a background check, they'd probably be more likely to just steal it from me.

If I DO have a reason to be suspicious, I'm not selling it to them.

That's just me, though...

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more question to this thread. How many of you are armed when doing a gun deal? Or should I even ask? :blush:
That is just a question I never answer. Before November 1, I would say I'm licensed so I might be. If someone asked me now, I would just say I can legally carry.

But if I'm meeting someone, I assume they are carrying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom