Farm Bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesnt bambo need a lot of water? No hope of growing that in western OK. But pot will grow with very little water making western farming of it doable.

I'm guessing you haven't been out in western oklahoma much. You pass mile after mile of irrigation from the Ogallala Aquifer while traveling through the panhandle. Water isn't an issue.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guessing you haven't been out in western oklahoma much. You pass mile after mile of irrigation from the Ogallala Aquifer while traveling through the panhandle. Water isn't an issue.

Yes, water is an issue. The Ogallala Aquifer is being depleted in a pretty bad way. Some areas of the Ogallala have already been depleted. The Ogallala is being drawn down by about 2 feet a year, but natural replenishment of the aquifer is only something like 3 inches a year.

Crisis on the High Plains - The Loss of America's Largest Aquifer, the Ogallala

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would guess wrong. My family has a farm near Elk City. The aquifer is going dry but you wouldn't admit it if you even had a clue.
Water is more expensive and valuable than oil...but you dont know that either.
Having to irrigate a crop cuts into profits hard, but that math and you wouldn't understand that either.
Oops, Terry beat me to it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis likely doesnt know about Lake Optima either...LOL

Oh, don't even bring that one up. When they were building it, I questioned a guy from our home town that was involved with helping build that dam. I asked him how they ever hoped to fill the dam since the Beaver River seldom ever had water in it. He "informed" me that there was supposedly a lot of underground water that would fill it.

Well, maybe there was, but they didn't go all the way down to bedrock in building the dam, so they perpetuated a leak that would prevent the lake from ever filling up.

One of our other OSA members in the past posted a bunch of photos of the Lake Optima area that showed it to be such a disaster. I think it was 264Magnum.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, don't even bring that one up. When they were building it, I questioned a guy from our home town that was involved with helping build that dam. I asked him how they ever hoped to fill the dam since the Beaver River seldom ever had water in it. He "informed" me that there was supposedly a lot of underground water that would fill it.

Well, maybe there was, but they didn't go all the way down to bedrock in building the dam, so they perpetuated a leak that would prevent the lake from ever filling up.

One of our other OSA members in the past posted a bunch of photos of the Lake Optima area that showed it to be such a disaster. I think it was 264Magnum.
I used to work with a man who retired from the Corp of Engineers that built it. He would get steaming mad if anyone mentioned it. lol

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I mentioned on here being told of the leak from locals up there and someone here told me that was totally false. Don't remember who it was.

The Corps sold it to the county (I think) and they had to go rip out all the buildings and stuff in the name of "public safety". No matter that it was all there and of no apparent problem for all those years. It used to be an interesting place to visit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom