Farm Bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where does that $600,000.00 combine and the $300,000.00 tractor, and the $10,000 drill, and the $100,000.00 in tillage equipment come from?
I think that section of hemp you just planted came in at a net loss.
Well, if the person was already engaged in farming, he probably already has them. If not, a number of county extension offices have drills, the combine can be done by a contract harvester, and the tractor can be bought used, or even new, with a loan (again assuming that somebody who already has a large plot of land doesn't already have a tractor).

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It's a huge unknown risk that Oklahoma producers won't take imo. You may see a few acres here and there, but it will turn out like the lottery and horse racing funding education.

Pretty sure hemp is swathed then baled, no combine needed.

20181214_202938.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it is swathed. I was putting on worst case scenario in response to hemp is taking over the world which is ridiculous.
The prices quoted per acre/quarter/section if true by Chenry of $1 million per section would need to be verified by someone other than high times magazine.
If I could get verified links of folks making that kind of money from hemp, I have a section I’d put up for planting with a half million security fee, cash in advance. Chenry could profit the rest. Guaranteed return right?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, if the person was already engaged in farming, he probably already has them. If not, a number of county extension offices have drills, the combine can be done by a contract harvester, and the tractor can be bought used, or even new, with a loan (again assuming that somebody who already has a large plot of land doesn't already have a tractor).

County extension offices aren't equipped to plant hemp. Yes, some do have drills for rent, but typically are designed for wheat in my area anyway. They don't have the money to invest in cotton, milo, or corn planting equipment. One can adapt if necessary.
One seed per half inch or so with 7" spacing or so depending on the drill, per row for wheat is typically the norm depending on some variables and that won't work for hemp.
I don't see a lot of custom cutters buying the headers to combine it because of the small acreage.
There are custom harvesters out there that do specialty work like harvesting bluestem grass seed in Osage County, but lordy it is high because of the low yield and cost of the equipment to harvest it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where does that $600,000.00 combine and the $300,000.00 tractor, and the $10,000 drill, and the $100,000.00 in tillage equipment come from?
I think that section of hemp you just planted came in at a net loss.
Well assuming a wheat farmer already has those items. But even if a guy runs out and buys that all new to start a new hemp operation, it's much easier to pay for it growing a crop that pays 10 times better than wheat. So it's really a non issue either way. It's a win win for established farmer and new ones too.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well assuming a wheat farmer already has those items. But even if a guy runs out and buys that all new to start a new hemp operation, it's much easier to pain for it growing a crop that pays 10 times better than wheat. So it's really a non issue either way. It's a win win for established farmer and new ones too.
Here's the thing. The first couple of years the money will be great, just like you say. Word will get out then every Tom, Dick and Harry will be planting hemp. There will be a huge amount of crop so prices will fall like a brick. Look at ostrich and emu farming. Uber nice farms were popping up everywhere. When it caught on and got trendy, it just died monetarily speaking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom