Finally bought a Gunsafe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1257.PNG IMG_1258.JPG IMG_1259.JPG
I really loved having my guns on display in the glass doored gun cabinet my grandad built! I hated the thought of spending money to hide my guns from myself just so MAYBE someone wouldn't get em IF my home was broken into. My wife felt the same (yes she likes shooting guns and buying guns too! Lucky me!) but we started thinking about what it would cost to replace our firearms that would definitely be gone IF we were broken into. For a few months we've been researching fire ratings, safe weights, thickness of materials, number of locking bolts, bolt diameters and the price related to all of the above. Well, yesterday my mind was made up. I told her, the heck with it, we could study forever and the guns won't be any safer. Plus, honey, Academy has this Cannon Force 64 gun on sale for $599! It's normally $999! Let's do it. She didn't say anything (that's a good thing with my wife) if she says something, that's when it gets dicey. So I find one of the three Academy's in our area has one actually in-stock. The lady said she could only hold it for 2hrs. Well we had several things that had to be done before goin to Tulsa. Made it there in 2hrs 27mins to be told "you didnt make it here in 2hrs, so, we sold it". Well, I was a lil frustrated but I was at fault so I could understand. So my wife, 3 daughters and I decided by the insane number of folks at Academy that it was not a good day for shopping. We headed back home East of Tulsa and decided to stop at SCI in Catoosa to "just look" at safes there again (we looked there a couple weeks ago). The pictures pretty much explain what happened next. The fun part was rollin this heavy booger around on some pipe to get it to its home. My girls 2-12 in age got to learn all about leverage, crowbars and such. Final assessment is: I spent more than twice what I planned but, I got more than double the weight, more than double the bolts and more than double the fire rating.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you proudly display your guns, some ass wipe will eventually break in and get them. Low lying fruit. Brother in law had some outstanding collector guns stolen from his beautiful glass gun case in his den.
Took about 5 minutes for the theft.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nicely done. My safe looks like yours, and I’ve had it some ten years. I have a working collection - if a firearm doesn’t see range time in a year, it’s gone. Just MHO, but it makes no sense to hang onto firearms that do nothing but collect dust, unless they have sentimental value. I can put the money to better use elsewhere.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can see bare places in your safe. Mine looked like that 20 years ago.
Now, if I purchased a long gun, I'd have to sell one.
I think maybe I could cram another handgun in there. Maybe.

I've got a few more that won't see the safe. Carry guns, feed truck guns etc. But yes I plan to fill this one and probably another. Lol. At least we talked ourself in to buying a lil bigger than we currently need. I've got a couple rifles that take up a ton of room. I learned for sure to pick a safe based on room needed. Not by the number of guns they advertise it to hold

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nicely done. My safe looks like yours, and I’ve had it some ten years. I have a working collection - if a firearm doesn’t see range time in a year, it’s gone. Just MHO, but it makes no sense to hang onto firearms that do nothing but collect dust, unless they have sentimental value. I can put the money to better use elsewhere.

I'm the same way. I may even swap one off that I shoot a little just for the fun of swapping to something new. This is if I don't have extra cash or something I don't like/use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom